Bolt heads covered in shite

Hi all,

Got to drop a rear subframe out over the weekend. There are 8 principle bolts holding the thing in position, all accessible from the side with the rear wheels removed. Should be straightforward except for the fact that they're smothered in some sort of rust-preventive goo/underseal/tar and it looks like being a bugger to get off. I only need to clear the bolt heads and the area around them by a few mill in order to get a socket on 'em. Any ideas what would be best to get this crud off them?

cheers in advance.

chris.

Reply to
Chris

blowtorch? wire brush?

Otherwise just hammer the socket on.

Its soft stuff innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Clean one of the bolt heads then find the socket that fits. Use hammer to knock same socket onto the rest of the bolt heads. Underseal is not tough stuff.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I was amused to hear a supplier quite seriously use the term "Birmingham Screwdriver" the other day, in the context of a piece of nuclear power plant which they make.

Reply to
newshound