Can I syphon fuel from an X reg Astra?

I've been a complete nob and put about 11 litres of unleaded into my wifes x reg astra 1.7 TD. The tank was virtually empty.

Not knowing a thing about cars I did what ant right minded 30 something man would do and phoned my Dad ! He brought a hose (regular garden type) put we coudn't get down into the tank. I've read a bit about anti syphoin devices , could this bve why? I'm hoping the hose was just too big, and was going to get a smaller bore hose tommorrow and try that. Would I be wasting my time.

We're not in the AA or anything so I'm hoping to avoid calling (and paying for) a grage to sort it out :(

thanks in advance

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
greg parsons

Fill the tank to the top with unleaded. It will be ok

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

DOH !!. I meant with diesel of course.

Reply to
shazzbat

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Reply to
SteveH

LOL - I love timestamps

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Yes, you wont get it out through the filler neck, the vast majority of cars have anti-sython doobries.

Take out the back seat, and go in throught the sender unit hole.

Being in the AA wont help anyway, they don't pay to repair driver errors!

Reply to
SimonJ

and that will be ok? by my (very) rough estimation ive filled about 1/4 of the tank, so filling it right up with diesel will "dilute" the unleaded enough so it won;t cause damage?

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
greg parsons

"> I've been a complete nob and put about 11 litres of unleaded into my wifes

I did the same to a hire car a few weeks back and just filled up the rest with diesel. After about ten miles you could tell a slight difference (not as much power on acceleration, slight pinking, quieter running, etc.) but not enough to be noticeable - at least not by the hire co. anyway!

If you're worried about long-term effects then the petrol could accelerate wear in the injection pump, etc. but if 11ltrs is it then I doubt it'd make any recordable difference.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Correct. They aren't anywhere near as fragile as some would have you believe. When I was doing trade plating work years ago, we had various episodes of wrong fuel, and I can tell you this is not going to be a problem.

Mind you, whenever anyone calls me out to deal with one, there's no way I admit that.

As a matter of interest, did you realise the mistake before running the engine? And have you started it since?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

You won't get a garden hose in but you might get a piece of plastic tube about 1/4 inch inside diameter into it. I did with my Mondeo about a year ago.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

sounds like i need to call the garage lol

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
greg parsons

i realised as i was holdign the pump lol the engine hasnt been started at all - we pushed it to the side of the petrol station to try syphoning, then my dad towed me home. Guess im probably best off getting a tow to the nearest petrol station then filling right up?

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
greg parsons

Yes. Or now you've got it home, you may be able to undo a hose off the fuel filter and syphon it out from there. If you can, you will then be able to fill up with diesel from a can, and drive to the garage.

I would leave it till daylight though. much easier.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

You might be okay since it's only eleven litres, but then again, you might _not_ be okay. It's your call really - if you do want to try running it be sure to brim the tank with diesel.

You might want to drop by a pet store and get some airline tubing, it may go down into the tank.

Oh and petrol tastes friggin' awful, diesel is much nicer. Ahhh it was good to fill up the Fester TDCi on Wednesday before getting Kermit back... I "accidently" spilt a wee drop on my hands... Great for the skin. :)

Reply to
DervMan

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "greg parsons" saying something like:

That's about the size of it. The fuel lines are still full of diesel, so if you fill the tank with diesel, the fuel pump won't see any neat petrol. 2 gallons of petrol in say, a 10 gallon fuel tank, won't make any difference to the engine. Just to be on the safe side, as soon as you've used a couple of gallons of the mixture, fill it again with diesel and keep doing that for a few days.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Don't they? I thought they provided a recovery service in the event of an accident?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Just fill it with diesel. My mum put £20 of petrol in her TD Mondeo. Told her to top it up to brim with diesel...was fine.

Reply to
Conor

If this is the mark one or mark two Mondeo TD, it's a mechanically injected engine. The 2001 Astra uses an ECU controlled donk and it may well be fussier...

Reply to
DervMan

Ahha, but providing the service and providing the service free are two different things.

But I think SimonJ was meaning that the AA won't actually fix the problem. They'll just tow you to a garage.

Reply to
DervMan

They do, but they'll charge it back to your insurance company (in fact they have only just changed their rules, they didn't use to give cover at all for RTA's)

Reply to
SimonJ