Car Left for 5 weeks - brakes

Hello, My Seat Ibiza (03) has been left stationary since Christmas, and after running it about a bit I've found that applying the brakes causes the steering wheel to vibrate. Has leaving the car for so long permanently damaged the brakes? Or will the vibration eventually clear up?

Cheers

Reply to
Makhno

it's probably surface rust on the discs eventlyally it will clear up have you looked to see if they are still rusty in some places?

Reply to
dojj

You're lucky it moved! My ZX was left for static and outside for two weeks before I got to it. Took a lot of bashing with a 5lb hammer to get the back right wheel to not just slide along the ground when you tried driving. I'm guessing you don't have rear drums though..

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

Take it out for a good thrash, making sure everything gets good and hot, and brake from some high speeds, should get all the crap off.

Reply to
DanTXD

Disks...but I left the handbrake off. Sticks horribly otherwise.

Did 40miles this morning and the juddering seems to have gone away, so all is well!

Reply to
Makhno

'Like it Dan' A good thrashing is whats needed

Fluke

Reply to
fluke

Probably the discs have gone rusty. With a little luck, once it's worn away the brakes will be fine. I don't know how long you've run it, but it shouldn't take too many applications of the brakes to clear the discs. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

You could just check the brake disks through your alloys or take the wheels off and check for rust. If there's none left there is another reason for your steering wheel vibrating, but being an 03' its still covered by Warranty just?? take it in before it runs out.

Reply to
Joe