Car valuation

Not to mention the worn clutch from stop-start journeys, the cracked original tyres and the engine which is worn out through hardly ever being warmed up properly.

Also I'd suspect that a car showing higher mileage is less likely to have been clocked - who's going to reduce a mileometer reading to 120,000?

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Carl Bowman ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Somebody with a 180k car that's never going to pass as a 50k one...

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed. Pal with an Ovlov 850R found, afterwards, that it's real mileage was prolly over 200k rather than the 130k he bought it at.

Reply to
Scott M

lol - testament to a high performance car that can last! Was trying to follow a 330 bhp tuned 850R a few weeks ago, he's got 240k showing and no sign of it blowing up - although the turbo was changed it was not because the old one had failed...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I looked at a Sprinter 311CDI (X reg) a little while ago with 78k on the clock. No service history, but the bloke selling it was pretty genuine and said I was welcome to contact the previous owner to verify it (the condition did reflect the mileage). He also had an older Sprinter 310D (S reg) with well over 400k, and I kid you not, the engine sounded every bit as good as the 78k CDI lump. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a lot of the Sprinters for sale with 150-180k on the clock and no history actually had

300-400k on them.

At the end of the day, any wearing part in a vehicle is replaceable, from brake pads and discs to suspension arms/bushes, to gearboxes, clutches and engines. As long as the bits have been replaced before they're too knackered then in theory it should drive just as well as it did before, and a well serviced engine should last for god knows how long, and no-one's going to question the fact that an engine with 180k on the clock doesn't quite sound like new anymore! A bit like Trigger's broom.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yep, know what you mean - in truth my comment was a bit tongue in cheek.

I've been considering (on and off) buying a Sprinter van, but gave up as there were none for what I'd call sensible money (W/X reg for about £6-7k) with reasonable miles (less than around 120k) - there have been the odd one or two, but they've either been sold, or in one case I actually went 200 miles to look at it, test drove it and found out that I didn't really like it!

But my point is, that the guy selling the one I looked at had another with

400k on the clock and it ran every bit as good as the 78k one, which has given me every faith in buying a high mileage one. I could have had a 52 reg 311CDI with 300k on the clock for £7.5k but I wasn't quick enough (and even then I would have probably not had the bollocks to buy something with that sort of mileage) but I definitely would now.

Especially something that young with that many miles - 52 reg is, at the very oldest, 2 years old. That means it's been driven for a maximum of 730 days in its life. That's 411 miles per day, day in, day out. Now assuming it's been driven 250 days per year (5 days/week, 50 weeks/year - allows for bank holidays etc.) that's an average of 600 miles/day. There's no possible way that that would ever have done anything but motorway mileage, 99.9% of the time. It would have been a really good buy. I might even consider something like that again if it came up, but at the same time I'd be hard pushed to justify spending around twice what my current low mileage Renault Master van's worth something higher mileage, no matter how well built or new it was.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

£4000 from auction - please. £3200 max.

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

The CAP guide is used across the motor industry as a guide to current car values. The figures are a result of their continued monitoring of transaction prices across the UK.

May I ask where you get your £3,200 from?

Reply to
MB_UK