Cats

How does that work then? If the precious metals aren't in there anymore what's taken their place?

John

Reply to
John

1.. The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used. However, it is not suitable for all applications because of unwanted additional reactions and/or cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals that are used. Platinum and rhodium are used as a reduction catalyst, while platinum and palladium are used as an oxidization catalyst. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used, though each has its own limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (due to reaction with carbon monoxide). While copper can be used, its use is illegal in North America due to the formation of dioxin.

I guess old cats have lots of Platinum and new cats don't?

Reply to
Fred

Fred

Cheers Fred,

John

Reply to
John

Be honest dopey you aint got a cloo what you are spouting have you?

Reply to
Fred

Yup, I'd agree with that - a cheapo bought for our 156 failed the emissions test in under a year....

Not looking forward to this year's test for the same reason.

Reply to
SteveH

Fred ("Fred" > which are a fraction of the size of OEM and only last a year or two.

Ah, bless... Who woke Fred up? You flog cheap cats, too?

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
adder1969