Cavalier handbrake Help!

Folks,

I have a 1991 1.8 saloon Vauxhall cavalier. Just came by it in fact. The handbrake is way loose - almost ineffective completely.

I had a look at it tonight, and 1st thing that I see is that the adjuster / guide is detached from the torsion bar. Haynes says it is 'mounted' on the torsion bar. Can I take it that is has rusted an come away ? Is this common, and will it still work when detached ? I looked under a neighbours Cav and theirs is also detached...

'So Anyway, I can't understand how this handbrake works! I can see of course how one side comes on, as it is directly connected to the cable which runs to the handbrake lever, but I can't for the life of me see how the other side operates !!

Can someone please explain to me ? Also, the adjuster is sooo rusted i can't see that I will be able to do anything with it anyway - does this part come with a new cable ?

Many Thanks for any help,

Craig.

Reply to
craig

each brake pulls against the other, to equalise the pull.

new cables are a good start

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

As is stripping it, freeing it off and greasing it up.

Reply to
Conor

Without seeing it the best advice is a new cable, they tend to break up anyway and are not very dear.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks alot folks,

The new cable - does that include the adjuster bits ?

Craig

Reply to
craig

yes but for some reason not the adjuster nut, you need to prise the bracket apart to remove the nut and refit the cables into it. I really cant understand why they don't supply the whole kit for it as 9 times out of 10 its all seized up anyway!

Reply to
reg

The message from snipped-for-privacy@fmncards.com contains these words:

This bunch's website is quite clear. Cheap, too, generally.

Reply to
Guy King

I can answer this, having done my old J-reg handbrake cable for the MOT on advice rcvd. here - yes, it does. There is a long bit and a short bit, and a couple of nylon blocks. Make sure you've got the cup things that go on the brake back plate for the springs to sit on, they don't come with the kit, but you can make them with tinsnips and a bit of sheet metal. It's all rather easy to do.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Guy King contains these words:

That's /this/ site...

Guy King