Central Locking isn't. Fiat Marea 115 ELX W Reg.

The car is almost at the end of its life so a quick bodge will suffice. When trying to lock the car all the locks come up again. When the ignition is on, the red warning light indicating that something is still open comes on. I've double-checked and slammed everything but no luck. Is it possible to remove a fuse and revert to manual locking? Any other ideas?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

No it's not.

It's barely run in. With regular servicing it'll have at least another

10 years of life left in it.
Reply to
SteveH

The engine's in terrific shape and there's no rust (it's Galvanised) BUT the suspension's cost me > £1000 over the last year or so and there's an ominous knocking indicating that the anti-roll bar bushes are shot (another £200 or more). The roads where I live are even worse than in the rest of the country.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Did you miss that it was a FIAT?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Did you miss what I usually drive when I have a choice?

It's newer than our 156, ffs.

Reply to
SteveH

The VFR800, shirley?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

I said *drive*, not *ride*. There is a difference.

Reply to
SteveH

W reg at the end of its life?!?!?!?! Oh yes, it is a Fiat Marea after all...

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Yeah, bag of shit Fiats are - my Tipo only lasted 17 years! I was appalled. My Bravo's coming up on its 9th birthday too and that's still going fine....

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

That's normally the droplinks, which are 20 quid a side.

Reply to
SteveH

I guess nobody can help this poor bastard with his locks!

Its about right for this group.

Reply to
R D S

Nope. It's definitely the bushes.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Yes. I appear to have wandered into comedy? corner.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, Another Dave wittered on forthwith;

Check all the door switches and operate all the locks by hand a couple of times. It'll either be dirt in a switch, a broken switch, a stuck solenoid or - personal favourite this - a dodgy connector.

Wop wiring tends to use semi-decent quality wires nowadays, but the quality of the connectors is still slightly worse than that of a 1986 Yugo Zastava.

If that doesn't work, pull the fuse.

Reply to
Pete M

Well I didn't know whether to laugh or shake my head in despair at the throwaway society attitude... And thread drift, banter, insults etc are part of Usenet.

Have you tried looking for alternate ARB bushes? I don't know what they look like, but

help. Failing that, email or phone Chris Witor (the Superflex mainagent in the UK AFAIK) as he may well be able to help come up with somethingthat can be adapted to the job.

Reply to
Stuffed

Thanks - I'll try all that in the morning.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Indeed - the whole concept of a W-plate car being 'near the end of it's life' left me struggling for words, given that it's newer than anything I've *personally* owned in the 6 or 7 years.

Reply to
SteveH

I consider our W reg Multipla to be 'new ish'.

Saying that it is only 3 years newer than an Astra Estate I sold for £250 a few months back. It stank of diesel, had mould stains on the inside, doors wouldn't lock, one window was stuck and it stank like f*ck ever since the dog puked all over the back seats despite any amount of scrubbing.

I guess it varies from car to car.

Reply to
R D S

My friend had a similar experience. Those cars become money-pits, which is a real shame. A W-reg isn't that old, which is why those particular Fiats are a definite bad idea in that era.

The only car that comes close to that as being 'terrible' from that manufacturer is the Stilo. It's a piece of piss to pick up a 2 year old one for under 2 grand, which seems a bargain, until it all goes to pot in another year.

SteveH, I'm guessing you would know - why are Stilos really really terrible? I've heard suspension, engine, ECU, and other issues, but if it was all 'better' it would be a good car. The cosmetic design isn't that bad, but I guess it's easy to argue that most Fiats are pretty good to look at.

Reply to
graydoe

Talking about it coming to the end of its life seems to have scared the car into behaving itself again - although I had to take it to the tip (en route to Tesco) to finally convince it.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave