Changing PAS fluid

Just took a look at the PAS fluid in the 75.... not only is the level a bit low, it also looks a bit murky and frothy.

Might be a problem with the pump.... but I thought I'd change the fluid first.

The pump is a bog-standard ZF unit, belt driven off the front of the engine with all the other stuff.

The only obvious way to do it is to disconnect the pipe from the reservoir. Anyone know any better?

Cheers,

Reply to
SteveH

the level a

the fluid

of the

the

Unless there is noticeable pollution in the oil, dirt particles etc, why change it? If it did have particles in it. That could indicate someting failing in the system, which a change of fluid would be unlikely to fix. A slight discolouration on it's own, is nothing worth worrying about. As long as the steering is otherwise OK, I'd suggest you just top it up, and keep an eye open for any leaks.

P/s systems are not designed with an easy way to change the fluid. The only way it can be done successfully, is by stripping the system. Draining the reservoir, will still leave as much oil remaining in the pipes, valve chamber, and rack itself. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yes, get someone else to disconnect the pipe and change the oil.

Adam H

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam