Citroen diesel C5

Just heard about one of these, does a lot of miles and at 98k has got a warning come up about fuel additive needs topping up. Citroen dealer wants

980 quid to do the job.

Tell me again about how cheap diesels are to run.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Dont use a citroen dealer is the correct answer

Reply to
steve robinson

Please tell me where else you can get the additive from.

Reply to
Conor

Very. For most people doing "normal" mileages, most of the cost of the additive would've been offset by the lower VED costs. Because this owner is a hypermiler, this hasn't happened. It's their own fault for not doing their homework.

But if you work out the TCO compared to a petrol equivalent, they'll still be well up.

Reply to
Conor

There's a similar thing on the 406. No idea what it costs to top up, but I suspect all PSA crap will use the same juice.

Reply to
Doki

Duncan Wood

It's similar to HGVs which have to use Adblue to conform to Euro 5. Costs about 1p/mile so comparable costs as well. Difference is we have a tank for it and quite a few service stations now have Adblue pumps.

Reply to
Conor

TBH if the stuff for cars costs a penny a mile then it would push petrols as being the more economical choice by a smidge.

Reply to
Doki

CES autofactors (in Northwich) for one, I'm sure I spotted it sitting on the shelf next to the oils and swarfega last Friday....

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Different stuff, the citroen stuff is to burn off particulates & regenerate the cat, appararently GSF sell it if you ring them. & Conor drives a truck, they use more of everything.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Handy to know that it's not just a "dealer only" job then. Not been in a factors for a while now.

Reply to
Conor

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

2.2HDi is the only one with the Eolys fluid based particulate filter.

A grand is WAAAAAAY too much for merely refilling the fluid - it's not cheap, sure, but it's not THAT much. I suspect there's either a degree of chinese whispers or more work/parts required.

Reply to
Adrian

I think he's forgot the decimal dot - £98 would surely be more realistic? I suppose you've got to do some sort of buggering around to tell the ECU that the reservoir's full again.

Reply to
Julian

I have just had a nose around on the net about this, it seems there are several problems with this system. The fluid is about thirty quid for a refill kit, citroen dealer price is for the full works including changing the DPF, resetting the ecu etc. etc. and is about a thousand quid !!

If you can get the car to france then get it done there, the whole job is about 350 quid !!

The DPF is on an exchange basis and is returned to the factory, there are several different versions.

Eolys is not the same as AdBlue

I am so glad I don't get involved with French cars any longer.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't forget that PSA HDis are a joint venture with Ford...

Reply to
Adrian

aaaaaargh

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Shop around though, you can get the dpf & the fluid elsewhere.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You change the dpf at the same time, but that's double the last bill I saw for those plus a full service.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Didn't think it was but was trying to make some comparison.

The Adblue system in regards to having a seperate tank, gauges and ability to top up at a service station is far better though.

Reply to
Conor

My 05 Diesel Astra doesn't seem to have any of this crap on it. I wonder why the Froggy engine needs it and others don't?

Julian [makes metal note never to purchase Froggy shit ever again until they stop this effing nonsense!]

Reply to
Julian