City Rover (last question)

Are they that bad prices brand new are superb? bearing in mind its just to get to and from work are the reliable etc..?

Reply to
Colin Mckechnie

They're a sack o's**te.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

In terms of? Can you expand whats so bad about them are they not similar to the rover 200?

Reply to
Colin Mckechnie

*snort*

They're absolutely *nothing* like a Rover 200. In fact, they're worse than the Rover 100 / Metro (which was actually much, much better than people give it credit for in it's final Rover 100 incarnation).

They're made in India by Tata, where they're sold as the 'Indica'. I think you can guess what this means.

Reply to
SteveH

Don't know what the situation is now, but when Rover were alive they were costing a large fortune in warranty claims- ie built in India at Indian labour rates, repaired FOC in UK at UK labour rates! This coupled with a high volume of warranty claims meant that Rover were wondering whether this car was such a good idea......

Reply to
Partac

is always worth checking... PS: you`re right, there`s nowhere I don`t lurk online :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Oh no, they're not that good.

`
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

UKP 3,999 new from Motorpoint... but still not worth buying.

Even if you bought it on the basis of driving it into the ground over, say,

5 years what will the spares position be? Presumably there would be no effective warranty? I'm sure there are better ways to spend that amount on a car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No they're not. If they had been in any way related to the Metro, they might have been an OK budget car.

Reply to
SteveH

You're too polite. The original Metro from over 20 years ago was a far better car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many years ago a mate had one of the last of the original pre-K series Metros - a 1275 GTa. He gave it a few tweaks - cam, pancake filter (ISTR), and dropped the front suspension a tad whilst increasing the ride height on the rear (I was convinced this couldn't be done because of the interconnection, but I do know that it was slightly 'Whacky Racer' to look at....) - that was an absolute hoot of a car. Looked the bollocks, too, with 2-tone red over black paint and cross-spoke (metric) alloys.

Reply to
SteveH

Even a bastard son shares the parents' genes. The City Rover has nothing to do with Rovers past or present - apart from a badge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's exactly what I learnt to drive in.

Was alright really... but then I was a 17 year old oik into bikes, so what did I know...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Although I agree that it is not a good car, it is passable. If the new price were around £2500 I would give it a go. At 4k it is a non starter and something like a base Fiat Panda is so superior for not a heck of a lot more dosh. 4k would also buy a very nice used car these days and this is where sensible money would go. Not mine though because I have a feeling in my water that £120,000,000 might be heading my way. At least, I have as good a chance as anyone [if I remember to buy a ticket or two].

The spares situation for this car is probably going to be better than any other MG/Rover model in the medium term because it is built by a massive Indian conglomerate that happens to sell their own brand [near] identical car over here now and probably well into the future, the Tata Indica. So less worries with this model than any other as far as parts are concerned. Odd situation isn't it?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Not mine though because I have a feeling in my

I'm sorry but next week's Euromillions will be mine, and the estate agent, Maserati dealer, (for me) Aston Martin dealer, (for wife) south coast yacht brokerages, travel agencies and local flying school had better look out......

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

Spares? Considering how long the Tata vehicle model life is, I'd suggest that spares for the CityRover/Indica would be the thing you COULD rely on............

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

All well and good, but it relies on someone deciding it's profitable to import bits for a car that sold about 500.

Reply to
SteveH

A-series engined Metros aren't interconnected - the fronts have individual displacers, the rear is connected across the axle. Not entirely sure why, but it works.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Ahhhh, right, that'll explain how he did it, then.

Looked odd, worked well - loosened up the arse end nicely.

Reply to
SteveH

Are Tata cars not still being imported? I have seen a few of their pick-up trucks around locally.

Huw

Reply to
Huw