Cool - first problem with Kermit

Hmm. I could reset the ECU...

Reply to
DervMan

It's broken, scrap it and buy a proper car.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Bitchy!!

Then again, I like Kas.

I'd get a scrap Zafira GSi and put the lump in the Ka instead.

Reply to
Pete M

Ahhh I see, in which case you'd be referring to a fuel trap as fitted to Sierras, etc. for exactly the same reasons (though obviously not to protect a MAP sensor as they were mainly carb fed). One thing though....the 'suction' is from the engine side of the pipe so fuel couldn't get into the sensor unless the inlet manifold was under positive pressure (possible on a turbo or supercharged engine immediately after switch off).

Hope I'm making sense!?

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Having two unrelated sensors fail at the same time is unlikely. If you've got a Haynes manual you should check the circuit diagrams at the back to see if the MAP and FTS sensors share any connections. I say this because on the Rover MEMS system most of the sensors which work by measuring a value (rather than just on or off states) take their power or ground from the ECU itself rather than the fusebox or bodywork - that way the ECU has an accurate reference voltage to compare the sensor outputs with. If you're lucky it could just be a loose or damaged wire on the loom, or a bad contact to that pin on the ECU connector...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Yes, although I did forget to mention that the original mod was on the older cars with Throttle Body injection, so obviously the fuel is injected *before* the pickup. Regardless of theory, they did get fuel going into the MAP sensor.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Really I have had a few fuel injected cars do this. The last - a granada became all but undrivable. It started OK but after 2 mins it began... It was a multiplug down the drivers side of the engine in this case, it looked dry, and wd40 didnt do any good either. Left apart overnight, with a fan heater on low, blowing on it sorted it though. Rain can be enough.

Sensors or EMS systems seldom go intermittent. HT leads can but they do it worst under load.

Does the fuel pump give constant pressure? it could be failing intermitently too.

Reply to
Burgerman

MAP sensor is "Manifold Absolute Pressure" sensor, and it merely senses the air-pressure in the manifold. In simple terms : It replaces the old-fashioned airflow-meter - the lower the manifold's airpressure, the more air is passing through it, so the more fuel it needs to inject.

It's Kangarooing cos it thinks there's either maximum airflow or no airflow, so it's injecting Lots/FuckAll fuel.

First, check the pipework. My old 405 had the map sensor mounted next to the radiator, and it was connected to the manifold with a bit of thin tubing. The tube split, so I duct-taped it together, and all was well again.

Assuming the pipework is fine, then it's either a duff connection, or a knackered sensor. If it were me, I'd just replace the sensor and clean the connection whilst I was doing it - a new one will only be a few quid from Ford.

Reply to
Nom

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com, "Nom" slurred :

I'm pretty sure that the _higher_ the pressure, the more air is flowing through :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

In message , Albert T Cone writes

Pressure falls with higher velocity and vice versa.

The above link is from my site and although the example uses divergent ducts to vary the velocity, the principle is the same.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

in news:HtR5MXBFuCoCFwQZ@10.0.0.3, Paul Giverin slurred :

Heh, yeah, I know about the Bernoulli effect, but in the inlet manifold the vacuum is generated by the engine, not by air-flow. When the throttle plate is closed you have maximum vacuum. When the throttle plate is open you have a pressure slightly* below atmospheric.

So pressure _is_ higher when more air is flowing... :-)

*the slight drop below ambient is due to the Bernoulli effect, but is negligible.
Reply to
Albert T Cone

Correct! With a turbo it can be 1 or 2 bar above ambient at full power!

Reply to
Burgerman

intermitently

Good call, I'd check out the fuel pump, too - maybe the fuel pump relay.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Me too :)

Cos at full throttle, you have almost no vacuum (so highest pressure). And at idle, you have lots of vacuum (so lowest pressure).

Well done that man :)

Reply to
Nom