Cooling Airlocks and Water Loss

I've used it (and other makes) without ill-effect in a number of similar era engines.

Reply to
sweller

Do you have any references or evidence for that - especially the welding point?

I can't find any and neither have I heard of it before.

Reply to
sweller

Obviously you haven't changed oil very much.

Reply to
Rob

That's a good idea, then you will have a result if the leak is plugged my this method. And eliminate that one from the list.

Actually the gas tester is not that conclusive.

Head gasket - blowing or sucking ??

Head may even be cracked.

Reply to
Rob

Barrs leaks was actually not bad.

Reply to
Rob

There is a metallic type now available. Biggest problem is the radiator clogs on the flake stuff.

Reply to
Rob

I think Nige is saying pigshit to the suggestion of not topping up a hot engine with cold oil but hasn't snipped that well.

It would make changing oil tricky, given that it is normally done with a hot engine.

If you're saying it's normal to pre-heat fresh engine oil before topping up in a hot engine then I'll join in the pigshit chorus!

Reply to
sweller

I've got it booked in at a local independent for a gas and leak test - then it's stop leak and then ultimately off with it's head! Although, I'm hoping to avoid that as it's a big lump to work on.

Reply to
sweller

Ask at your local engine repairers or any textbook on the subject, it's inherently good at getting into cracks so you have to open the whole crack to get it out before you weld it (well assuming you want it to last)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

or just run it unpressurised

Reply to
Mrcheerful

something to avoid is accidentally sitting on one of the head studs: a friend ended up in casualty doing exactly that on one of these engines in a

420 !
Reply to
Mrcheerful

No its a ridiculous statement that you have to heat new oil.

Warm engine to drain the oil as it flows faster. But by the time the oil has drained, the engine is cooled down quite a bit anyway.

Reply to
Rob

A pressure test may be sufficient to see the visible leaks or if it does not hold pressure.

The gas test only tells you if the bubbles are engine exhaust gases.

I think the jag has a neck on the radiator so you can;t see if there are bubbles in the water.

Reply to
Rob

Hopefully both will cover the available problems!

It has and it's a right royal PITA - difficult to judge how much coolant is in and when topped right up it will always chuck some out when warmed up.

Reply to
sweller

Absolutely.

Reply to
sweller

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "sweller" saying something like:

Novastop or Innostop is far superior to the traditional shit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Kalimex K-Seal is also good, it's compatible with antifreeze, doesn't require flushing before or re-flushing after and can be left in the system for coolant life.

off about 2 x 1/2L of coolant Add K-seal to one 1/2L and pour inrad header tank [1]. Top up from other 1/2L. Drive car to get enginewarm.

[1] newer sealed systems with expansion tanks that don't get coolant flow it's better put in the main system.
Reply to
Peter Hill

My drive would say otherwise.

Reply to
Nige

Well, yeah....

Why would anyone get an engine up to full temp & then change the oil?

You always warm it to get it flowing, then drop it, hopefully remember to put the sump plug in & refill.

Reply to
Nige

The operative word here is "Warm"

Reply to