Timing Belt Replacement advice

Hi,
The wifes Astra 1.8 16v is approaching the 40k mark so it's timing belt time.
Two garages have quoted me different prices. One for just a belt
(85+vat) and one for belt, tensioners and rollers (a kit I believe) for 160.
The garage doing the belt said they would inspect the tensioners and rollers to see if they needed done and if so would be another 100 or so on top of the 85.
Should the tensioners and rollers be replaced as a matter of course when doing the belt or is it only necessary to replace the belt?
Both are VX main dealers by the way. I've no reason to believe the tensioners and rollers would magically need done once the inspection was carried out as I use this dealer for all my servicing (2 cars) and maintenance and they have always been very reasonable.
What do you think?
LL

Change them anyway as a matter of course. For the extra money, it's peace of mind. Also if you didn't get them changed and the belt went soon after, the dealer would only say "tough shit, we advise changing the belt and tensioner etc as a whole kit". Certainly cheaper than a new head or 16 valves/guides.
JB

With the Ecotec's track record of munching valves / wrecking heads when the belt invariably lets go, you should always replace the tensioner and rollers with the belt at every change. The interval is 36k too.
Tim..
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:11:05 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM."

Nope, it's 40k. Maybe the older one's were 36k.
The owners guide actually say's 80k but the top of the last service receipt say's 40k. So I'll go with the vx supplied evidence rather than usenet if you don't mind.
If VX say 40 and it goes before 40 with a full vx service history then vx will be paying to fix it 100%.
LL
LiviLion wrote:

Right.
Meanwhile, back in the real world...
--
Grunff

LOL, in your dreams mate!!!
Tim..

the
rollers
Yes, and make sure you take it to a reputable garage, my wifes car was taken to a VX dealer and they still cocked up the timing.
Fatsod.
Hi! The tensioner went on my 1.4 Astra after the timing belt had been changed. It seems that with some Vauxhall engines the tensioners are now recognised as weak points and it's prudent to replace the things. Given I've just been stung 550 for a service and timing belt (and tensioners and water pump) change on a 1.8 Vectra I think you're doing the right thing getting quotes beforehand. Regards Kevin

Ouch I think hiway robbery is still very much alive. I think for my service on my girlfriends slightly elderly car (T plate), I paid less than the timing belt replacement VX figure to obtain water pump, head gasket set and thermostat plus the belt etc altogether for a DIY job on a fiat.
Mind you on my <20k Fabia I haven't quite got the stage of diy so I guess there is no avoiding dealers service charges until Ive really done some serious miles on it/years and years passed. (Warranty counts). Do people really pay that much for services for a 1.8 Vauxhall?? Guess I'll always be avoiding those, then.
Thats not being smug/just indicating that between factors such as diy maintenance vs garage, vs different marques, theres an awful lot of price difference in a vehicles "total cost of ownership" and that figure shocks me.
On a completely different front was just reading shockingly about the supposed 1 in 5 that dont insure, mot, or maintain their cars which are mostly wrecks or wrote offs, mostly asylum seekers - shocking and puts things in perspective, doesn't really matter how you go about servicing your call so long as its roadworthy!

<snip>
Yes (and at R plate you'd classify it as elderly), but I wouldn't know where to start doing that work. As a matter of course I buy the Haynes manual, but it might as well be written in Serbo-Croat for most of the pages.

If you can find a good garage (see my other posts in this group over the past year) then the costs aren't as horrible ... I'm still looking. :-(

I think I've just remembered why I pay for fully comp insurance. :-)
Kev

You really think 1 in 5 are asylum seekers? I'd change my newspaper...
--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

In my local Vauxhall dealer and bodyshop 4 years ago there was a wall board in the showroom, right next to the entrance from the car park. On it was the price for fixed cost services, annual, 2 year, clutch, exhaust and cam belt. Some of the cam belt prices were truly horrendous, especially the V6 models. I went in about 3 years ago and the cam belt prices had gone. Last year the board was moved out of sight of the showroom, into the service waiting area. So now you only get to see it when you are waiting to collect a car that's been serviced.
There's nothing wrong with a DIY'er chickening out of an ECOTEC cam belt swap - I do. But then I saw a collegue get it wrong........ and we are both highly trained aircraft engineers
Ian