CVH Bearings

I am about to rebuild a very high power CVH turbio engine, and need some info on the best bearings to use. Ford charge a lot fot their bearings, but i wonder if they are that much better. The CVH turbo conrod bearings are differenrt from any other cvh. Are they a sputter bearing? A local respected race engine builder has recomended Kolbenschmidt. Can i trust these?

Cheers, Rick.

Reply to
Rick

Ask Dave Baker. He knows one or two things about engines apparently :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Odds and sods :)

Any modern standard bearing will be fine. They're all made to tolerances measured in microns. I like King bearings which are actually the cheapest but did extremely well in a back to back test against Glacier I ran some years ago. If the OP wants a set he can email me. He should read the web site anyway even if he doesn't want anything.

What's a "high powered" CVH turbo though? A cooking 200bhp engine or one of my

300bhp plus ones. The former I'll be bound. The bearings are hardly likely to be the most major of his worries. Build tolerances are much more important. Most home built engines blow up pretty soon regardless of what power they put out.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Hello Dave, thank you for the reply. It is a 300hp plus engine. A similar one has been producing upto 360hp on the dyno depending on boost. Using Cosworth (expensive!) forged pistons and steel rods. The Machining of components, tolerances etc are being done by a very respected engine bulder - Quasar in Stockport, also known as Techno motorsport. There main business as far as i know is in prodcing Formula Ford engines. They did my prev 220hp engine, which lasted 3 years with no probs :)

Which crank and oil pump would be best suited - pre or post 86, as i have both. Also, i have noticed that certain main bearings have oil channels in both the cap and block sides - others in just the block side - any preference? Oil pumps genuine ford, or can an aftermarket one be trusted?

One thing i found quite disturbing recently when stripping an engine. The 2 halves of the main bearing did not line up properly - the cap end was shifted about 1mm to the timing end of the engine. The bearing however was inserted properly in the cap and block - the oil hole lined up and so did the groove - is this cause for alarm? The crank turned very smoothly.

Many thanks, Rick.

Reply to
Rick

Then presumably they are qualified to answer all your questions.

I prefer the latter.

Also, i have noticed that certain main bearings have oil channels in

pre 1989 blocks

others in just the block side - any

post 1989 blocks. You have no say in the matter. Only the right bearings will fit each block and they come with the grooves as per the original design.

yes of course.

normal.

The crank turned very smoothly.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yes, I hope they are. I'm still assembling parts, and haven't been down to speak with them properly yet. It's also nice to get the view of somebody else who is a respected authority on these engnes.

Any easy way of identifying the blocks. Did this apply to just turbo items or all 1600's?

Sorry - slightluy unclear - are you saying aftermarket pumps are or aren't suitable for highly tuned engines?

Are you a supplier of bearings/pumps/gasket's etc? If so, i'll contact u for prices etc and then get some ordered :)

Thank you again, Rick.

Reply to
Rick

Neither- you probably ought to be running dry sump on an engine of this caliber. But to answer your question- a post 86 pump- the early ones can break up and suffer cavitation at high rpm.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The only problem with the early ones is when they aren't fitted correctly. It's covered on my website.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The two digit year code (81SM etc) on the side is a fair clue :)

I'm answering the question strictly grammatically in terms of how it was posed.

Yes I supply parts.