Derv Megane - max damage?

That's not too bad then! So long as the customer is recommended at the correct time, and told it would be a _really_ good idea!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Mill-Autos ( snipped-for-privacy@nd.die) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"Hello garage, my car needs an 80k service"

"Right, that service includes the cambelt, so the cost will be around £xxx

- it's higher than other services, but the cambelt change takes around x hours. Yes, we could do the service without changing it, but when it breaks

- which it will do with no warning - it will do at least £xxxx damage and leave you stranded at the side of the road. Would Monday be good for you, Sir?"

Reply to
Adrian

Aaaah - so you've had a car serviced at Dixon's as well!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It gets better. The missus had a leaking camshaft oilseal on her Nova. The cambelt was also due a change so I phoned local Vauxhall dealer to get cambelt changed and to do the oilseal at the same time as its behind the top pulley so only needs an additional 2 minuts and one bolt undone over a cambelt chain. They were going to charge me the full price for the oilseal change (1hr plus parts) plus the full charge for a cambelt change (1hr plus parts). Even the service manager I spoke to thought it was ludicrous but that was Vauxhalls way of charging for it.

Thankfully the guy was a good one, told me to buy the seal seperately and just book it in for a cambelt change and he would make sure the seal accidentally fell into the recess on the cam carrier.

Reply to
Conor

99% of customers don't know what the cambelt does or the ramifications if it goes wrong. They'll suddenly be presented with a potential £60- £150+ increase in the cost of that service and many will choose not to do it.
Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So the garage *explain*.

Reply to
Adrian

I tend to agree - it's good business practise, common sense and good service. Oh my, sorry, I've mentioned the three things missing from most retail scenarios these days...

Reply to
DocDelete

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Not hard - but unlikely. Companies just don't think like that.

Reply to
Guy King