diesel turbo ( care of )

My car share buddy has just had his Mazda 6 turbo replaced, I'm wandering is it better for a Diesel Turbo to leave the engine running,
when dropping someone off for example ? He (still ) does not believe me when I suggest to leave it running..
saying:

Doesn't matter if it's diesel or petrol - any turbo will thank you for letting it cool down a bit before switching off.
With modern (modern? Well, the last 20yrs or more...) water-cooled turbos, though, it's much less necessary than it was in the early days when they were cooled by oil alone. All you really need to do is not thrape the living arse off the thing and immediately switch off.
I suspect the turbo in his Mazda was probably replaced for reasons other than having been "cooked" - modern turbos are bloody complex, with the vanes varying in angle to minimise lag and maximise throttle response, and - especially in diesels, with all the soot in the exhaust (before you get to the particulate filter, remember), they can easily clog up.
Adrian wrote:

using good quality fuel and having regular oil changes using the right oil is more important than ever. It is never worth turning off an engine for less than a few minutes unless the car is unattended.

Best nnot to buy VW, BMW or a Hybrid then, they do it automatically.
they were saying:

Indeed. <waits for "But it's different"...>
There's no point whatsoever in leaving a car idling unnecessarily. It doesn't "use more fuel" to start a car, unless it's from cold.
Duncan Wood wrote:

Obviously, I was referring to the vast majority of conventional vehicles. I was thinking more of starter wear and the initial rev up that most vehicles do, obviously hybrids such as the prius stop and start themselves as they need, however the prius at least does not have a normal starter or even a conventional cycle engine, it also keeps itself warm using a thermos flask (don't laugh, they do) and of course is designed for those exact purposes.
Mrcheerful

Wheras BMW & VW just bolt it onto the standard engine. Starter wear's the only real issue, & unless something else is faulty that should be negligible on a warm engine. Why rev it up when you start it?
Duncan Wood wrote:

I was referring to the momentary rev up that is done automatically (by the computer) on most cars, although the driver rev up is another issue.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were

What would you class as good quality fuel and how would you say what was good quality. A modern Vauxhall turbo diesel can happily run off Kerosene or heating oil as it is bought to avoid duty. This causes no harm to thousands of lease cars! Using different brands of diesel available to the public will not be noticable. Using red diesel or bio diesel can ruin the engine, fuel pump, seals and god knows what else as it's not meant for a car engine. Biodiesel is misleading, there is no real standard, similar to people running a car from used vegetable oil. Regular servicing is important. Oil change and filter change very important more frequently on a diesel turbo.
were saying:

Bollocks. Anything but "proper" diesel will kill the pump on a common rail diesel in fairly short order. On an older diesel, no problem.
Using red diesel can ruin the engine, fuel pump,

More bollocks.
Red Diesel is just white Diesel with a chemical marker and dye to signify that it is tax rebated.
Julian.
saying something like:

Utter shite. 28second kerosene will shag the pump in short order. Gas oil (marked diesel as heating oil) is ok, but is usually pretty manky. Many farmers combine the heating oil and diesel tank with that in mind.

Utter shite. There is a standard and most commercial producers stick to it. Backyard Biodiesel is a different story, but it's never caused me any problems in the thousands of litres I've made /used of it, because I take reasonable care when making it.
Want to demonstrate your abysmal ignorance any more?

At last, something you speak truly of.
Adrian wrote:

Certainly the usual cause with a VAG turbo-diesel turbo failure is a sooted-up VNT mechanism...
http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/body_vnt15-turbo.html
...and it seems that the best way of avoiding it is go give it some boot once in a while to help clear the crud out.
I certainly wouldn't stop the engine for a very short stop, and as Adrian says, thraping the nuts off it and stopping is asking for it.

There is no reason to leave the engine running on any turbo car. What you must do is allow 30s at idle if driving like a lunatic, or slightly longer after a super high speed motorway run. The turbo stays spinning for a while so it's best to have oil circulating around the bearings whilst it slows down. You often need to leave it for longer on a petrol turbo engine due to the higher speeds the turbo runs at. If you're looking for someone to back you up, I doubt you will find anyone if they know about diesel engines.

.
Utter crap. Temperature is the factor.
Julian.