Re: Timing belt or chain?

The 2.0 and 2.5 litre both have a belt which needs to be changed at 60.000

> miles or 90.000 km > Geert

Thanks for the bad news! :-\ I wonder how many people listen to the Ford main dealer who say it has a chain, and end up having cam belts snap?

Reply to
J a c k F r o s t

What are the advantages of belts (if any, besides economic factors) over chains? I have a Nissan Almera, with chain driven camshafts, which presumably will never require replacement, although I've only 42,000 on the clock at present. It's as quiet as any belt driven camshaft in my experience.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry Dutson

Chains used to be noisy 20 years ago, so belts were introduced, but with advances made more recently a chain doesn't have to be noisy any more. BMW's and Nissans have had them for years (1990 onwards Primera definitely) with no noise or wear problems.

Reply to
Steve B

Basically its done cos its cheaper to make and they can have you come back to the garage when its needs doing and charge you 4hours+ labour usually for most cars, and if its snaps they are likely to get some more money off another owner at some point, where as a good old chain driven one will probably outlast the engine even if it does get rattley at some points of its life. Will

Reply to
Will

definitely)

All Nissans? Do you know if Nissan 200SXs have belts or chains? I'm talking about the S13 model.

Reply to
J a c k F r o s t

Though the last-generation Nissan Micra used a chain, and they *did* wear somewhat rotten. The chains on some SAABs and Mercedes E-class are also known to give trouble, as does the whole cam-drive setup on the Ford "I-4" DOHC engine.

The 24V Ford Scorpio motors have one long chain to drive four camshafts. It wears, and you get hit by a big bill if the cams stop going round at the wrong moment.

Personally, I prefer belts - they're generally easier and cheaper to service than chains.

Reply to
PJML

Chains usually warn you that they are about to fail, a stretched chain will often start whirring or tapping against the cover or guides giving you time to get it sorted. No such luxury with belts, and their lifetime is very much a lottery having seen many belts fail long before their scheduled replacement interval.

I have a Nissan Bluebird petrol-changed the timing belt at 90,000 now has

170,000 on the clock. I should change the belt about now/soon or before but considering that it's never used any belt (power steering/alternator) yet (both originals) I'm tempted to leave it for a while. The last one replaced was perfect condition. Anyone any experiences with how long you can go?

(Although I knew a guy who ran a BMW to 90k and the belt snapped destroying the engine!)

Reply to
<jdwood37

Get it changed. You've jinxed yourself now!! Book it in asap and have it done in a week or two's time.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Some say they're better on an engine designed for high revs, although plenty of high revving engines use chains.

They're usually slightly quieter everything being equal, and definitely so over a worn chain.

If makers made them easy to change - like the early Vauxhalls - I'd not mind them so much, but when you've got to near remove the engine as on some cars they are a nonsense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman