Electric Window

Got a vw/golf k-plate,strange problem regarding the passenger side elaectric window,it only works when the drivers door is open. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Simondo

Off the top of my head, power to the window motor has been bodged to the courtesy light switch, which only provides a circuit when you open the door(s).

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

Are there switches to operate the passenger window from both the passenger door and the driver's door? If so, is the problem the same for both switches, or only one of them, and if so, which one?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Is this the same problem as posted about 15 posts up?

Reply to
Sean

Don't be silly- the wires for the windows and central locking pass through a rubber bellows in the hinge area- one or two have broken internally after many door openings and closings. Its quite common- usually with wires going to the boot lid though..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Some older BMWs used the interior door light switches to allow - or not - the operation of the windows with the ignition off. Perhaps the VW is similar? Might help with fault finding.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Si

Reply to
Simondo

Si

Reply to
Simondo

With ignition on or off?

Reply to
Sean

Try waggling the door open and shut while putting the window up and down - that should confirm a break in the wiring harness between frame and door - which I suspect it is.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Si

Reply to
Simondo

Sounds like the most common problem with these cars-a broken wire in the loom from the body to the door which touches when the door is open - pull the rubber boot back and check !

Reply to
radar

I know cavalier electric windows are 'active' once the drivers door is opened, could be a similar system??

Reply to
Chris

Yes - same with older BMWs, so may be a German feature of the period. So a fault on the interface that controls this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)