Engine driven generators (240V)

The BBC used to have some Land Rovers with vehicle engine driven mains generators. They had to be run with the bonnet open for cooling.

Reply to
Bill

Almost certainly the Land Rover had a hand throttle option, and some form of extra drive coupling for a generator, compressor, or winch. They were designed for off-road or remote rural use, so extra facilities would have been thought of.

In 1970 I owned an Austin Champ for a few months. 24v electrics, and an enormous connector which I was told was for powering up a tank. Also spare wires in the wiring harness run to strategic points around the vehicle, available for powering extra devices.

Reply to
Graham J

Ah - never come across one of those. Perhaps for radio (I only worked in TV) where the power requirements are lower.

Bonnets open for cooling reminds me of those ice cream vans.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

what year was that as I have a series 1 land rover that originally had a very large generator driven off the pto shaft It had 4 large output wires and I think the control box had 8 connections never got it working but the Land Rover is still usable

-
Reply to
Mark

In message , Mark writes

Sorry, only just seen this. The Land Rover was parked next to us, taking sound from Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. I'm fairly sure it won't have been a Series 1. The BBC had a standard cable route that passed through some always open steel doors. A nun was cold and slammed the doors shut on the power cables. The BBC man (embarrassingly, I can't remember his name) from Manchester shot round and got power back for us all remarkably quickly.

This was 1996. It was the entombment of the Archbishop, and was the first time we used a laptop to record and turn around pieces for the news bulletin.

The cable route was changed thereafter.

Reply to
Bill

Rather curious why a radio OB would be running power cables into the location? Or indeed just why it needed its own generator at a cathedral?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As an amateur musician I've some experience of taking part in musical events in churches. The lighting is generally abysmal, and any request to turn on more or connect our own is usually denied with the excuse that "any more causes the power to trip" !!!

So I assume that the BBC have become wise to this and always bring their own power.

Even at venues over which they have control (such as the Royal Albert Hall) I have seen a generator to run the TV cameras and lighting. I accept that the power requirements for TV lighting are significant. The generator for this was built on roadwheels to be towed behind something. It was ***very*** quiet - the only way I could tell it was running was the red "on" light and a heat haze over the exhaust outlet.

Reply to
Graham J

The power cables were to take power from the cathedral for the OB vehicles. There was also, of course, mic cabling and some back and forth with the cathedral's PA system. It was fortunate that the steel doors only cut the power cables and that there were no injuries. I think the connection to BT lines took another route.

Not sure why the BBC had the Land Rover with its generator there. Maybe it was just what was available and just coincidence. The thing that amazed me was the speed with which it was run up and provided stable power.

Reply to
Bill

Yes - but if a venue is used regularly for such radio etc broadcasts, it's usual to have suitable mains outlets and even mic etc cable runs installed permanently.

TV is a very different case due to the vast lighting load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - right. That makes sense. Although they usually have a safe route for those - not through a door.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just to finish this OT diversion, this was the Liverpool "Paddy's Wigwam" cathedral.

As far as I recall after the 22 years, this was the traditional cable route, and I had been at the meetings with cathedral staff where positions and cabling were discussed and agreed. The steel doors were literally never shut, as there was a further main security door. It was February, and the nuns were manning tables nearby to provide hot drinks etc. It was very cold. It is easy to see how someone would succumb to temptation and close the doors. I understand that subsequently holes were cut in the cathedral to provide different cable routes.

Reply to
Bill