Escort - Earthing problem?

I have a 1998 R-Reg Ford Escort Finesse 1.6 16v.

Recently, the factory fit Ford RDS6000 CD/RDS radio headunit has been behaving strangely. When I turn it on, it works perfectly with no problems (on both radio and CD) until I try to change the radio station by pressing one of the station preset buttons. Then it immediately switches off but will not turn on again when you press the main power knob.

I realise that this sounds a bit off topic and it is probably the head unit itself which has developed a fault. However, I want to try and remove the possibility that this is a symptom of a more general electrical fault with the car. Aside from the radio playing up as described, there do not appear to be any other problems with the operation of the vehicle.

I had a small feeling that there might be some sort of earthing fault. Any opinions would be most welcome.

Reply to
EvB

Remove the little security panel that houses some of the preset button, and clean the contacts underneath. It's a common fault on all Ford radios of this type.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks, that fixed the problem!