escort mk6 clutch release lever snapped !!

Gears suddenly became harder to select about 3 months ago (needed jiggling in) and today the clutch pedal hit the floor, upon investiagation the relaese lever had snapped clean off where the slined shafted passed through, closer examination showed that it had failed in two goes showing a fresh fracture on half of the metal, now this is a chunky bit of steel 4/5mm thick and 12/13mm on each side of the splines. What are the chances that the clutch will work ok - putting a large spanner on whats left attached to the splines I found it diffiicult to rotate should it really be that stiff or does the mechaical advantage of the pedal/cable/lever provide this large force normally (new part due tomorrow)

Reply to
NikV

you do need quite a bit of leverage to move a (free moving) clutch release arm. probably the shaft is seized though, if the arm has sheared off. you need to make sure that the shaft is lubed, particularly at the inaccessible lower end, and of course where the release bearing slides along. As I recall there is no cover plate on these to get in and have a look, so all you can do (without removing or prying apart the engine/gearbox) is lube the shaft from the top and hope. the next thing that will fail is the pedal adjuster quadrant thing.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If it's a Mk6 (post '96) it won't have one. It will be manual adjust.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes it is manual adjust, but if you investigate, you find that the manual adjuster just bears on the end of the good old auto quadrant!!!! I was a bit surprised to see it as well, they break , mainly because the forces are in the wrong direction on them and bear against the weakest part (take a look and you'll see what I mean)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

thanks for that - I put the lever on this morning and it worked okay did about `10 miles but the clutch needed adjusting which I did - couple more miles and re-adjusted and then bang the plastic quadrant shattered :-( spent the rest of the day disammbling and re assembling the pedal box - now I have to adjust the clutch again - wish me luck

Reply to
NikV