Estates

Hi, I have an old carlton estate & was thinking of upgrading to something a bit more classy.

Now, many estates seem to have a smaller load area because of a sloping rear door (including the 5-series BMWs) but anybody know how E series Mercedes compare?

Reply to
adder

W124 - huge New ones - less huge.

What about a Scorpio?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

What about an omega

Reply to
Gary Millar

They said 'Classier', not 'newer' ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

I assume you mean to stick with RWD, so there's not much out there with a load area anywhere near the Carlton apart from maybe the Omegas (which are truly s**te), and the recent Merc E class (124?). My E34 is smaller in the load area but I've now had to fit a towbar for trailering the holiday crap around as I also have 2 dogs (that's the load area full then!). You could always try and find a very late (93/94) CDX Carlton previously owned by an older boy as I recently discovered for a mate. 3.0CDX 24v Estate on an L-plate with ***17875miles****!!! Got it for £1375 cash. FSH etc... It's like new, but it took 4 months of looking to find one as good as this. Best of luck.

JB

Reply to
JB

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (adder) contains these words:

You want a nice Montego estate - very upright at the back - and no lack of class, either.

Reply to
Guy King

W124s are fabulous cars. I'd really quite like a 280TE W124.

Reply to
Pete M

I fancy a W124 280CE.

Reply to
SteveH

I had a W123 280TE and it was quite a bit quicker than it had any right to be. Quicker than a friends' MR2 GT down the Formby bypass :-D

Reply to
Pete M

Nice.

Couldn't bring myself to drive an estate, though, it'd have to be a coupe, even if they are a bit of a 70s throwback medallion special ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Very you....

It has been said that the W124 Estate is all the car any right thinking person should ever want, or indeed need.

There's a chap I know, rich bloke, auctioneer, stable full of classic cars, owns a starship mileage M reg, 280TE. Dark green, absolutely mint, totally full spec, a/c, leather, 7 seats, cd changer etc. It's a truly brilliant car. Built like a bank vault, never been known to break, and he uses it for all sorts of 'orrible jobs. Towing things crazy mileages etc. I want it, but all he ever says is "I've had it 10 years, it's never let me down, and a new one is £40k.. why should I sell it?"

Reply to
Pete M

..but the Carltons are huge - I've had two single bed frames & mattresses in the back with no problems at all. This is now my benchmark if I ever change it. I guess I need to take my tape measure to the nearest w124 estate.

Reply to
adder

Bigger and classier than a Carlton - Citroen XM estate. No longer RWD of course, but cheap, not bad to maintain if you use some common sense, and bloody huge.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

How's the E34 going? How many miles on it now?

CDX 24v? Didn't know they did one of them - thought the only 24v Estates were the Diamonds, or is that what you meant?

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

yep, chuck a set of green wellys in the back and your sorted!

You can't beat an old volvo estate for sheer volume - not exactly classy, but still RWD and bullit proof.

Reply to
chris

True. Can I interest anyone in my 740GL, 2.3 manual, with sunroof, 7 seats, MOT to October 2005? Cost me £450 but I was desperate to get some crap moved; open to vaguely sane offers.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

338714miles as of tonight. Just running in nicely. I serviced a E34 525i a month or so back with 535200miles on it. That one is a bit scruffy (stonechips etc) but runs beautifully. He's on his second auot-gearbox though.

Yup. Must have been a Diamond. Full leather, cruise, aircon, Blaupunkt sounds, etc....

*very* sweet. Hope your 'old bus' is going ok. cheers, JB
Reply to
JB

Nah, I want something that'll actually go around corners.

Reply to
adder

Audio 200 turbo quatrro avant :-)

Reply to
DuncanWood

Get an 850 then. First of the decent handling Volvo estates. Even Jeremy Clarkson thought so, apparently. Would have thought one of them could be had for around the £2k mark.

I was thinking the other day actually - an 850 could be part of a plan of mine to own several pairs of cars with the same model name/number, but completely different cars. Volvos could feature quite regularly actually. I was thinking along the lines of a Volvo 850 and a BMW 850i, a Ferrari 360 Modena and a Volvo 360, a Mazda 323 and a BMW 323i, etc etc. Then I'd spend lots of money on private plates that spell out names, like D4VES, S7EVE, T1MMY etc etc., just for a laugh.

Needless to say, I wouldn't actually do this unless I had *serious* amounts of money to piss away.