Estates

You've neglected to budget for the tyres :-)

Reply to
DuncanWood

Are 850s known for eating tyres? I wasn't on about a T5, just a lesser model. Anyhoo, most cars I've bought in the past have come with tyres already fitted :-)

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You can get them for a lot less than that at auction, if you don't mind them in white, and having a load of plastic plugs in the roof where the light boxes and multiple antennas were attached. And you need to T-Cut the paint to get rid of the outline of the POLICE stickers :->

They have intergalactic mileage, but it's a lot of (well maintained) motor for less than a grand.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.ox.ac.uk, James Dore decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Aye, there was an S reg 2.5 Vectra (bleurghh) still with the police outlines on went through the auction I was at last night. £540.

Reply to
Pete M

Citroen XM Estate. Firkin massive and has electronically controlled suspension with a sport mode.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

Very sloping rear, though - which IIRC was the point of the thread. Or has it wandered off somewhere?

Reply to
Guy King

Eh? Citroen XM ESTATE - not hatchback - has a square rear.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, but it more than makes up for it in the height of the load area - they're fooking huouge! As are Citroen Estates in general (except the ZX).

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

So it is true that people pay more for them in the hope that the rumours of secretly tuned-up models are true!

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Not that sloping. They're huge and wide, too. Did my post suggesting an XM vanish? I got a three-piece suite in my old one, with room to spare.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

The message from Conor contains these words:

Looks very slanted to me...

Guy King

It isn't as intrusive as it looks. I've got one parked outside my house

- my wifes' new car. Her boss has a Volvo 740 Estate he uses to lug signs around in and the XM has more room in the back than the 740.

Reply to
Conor

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) saying something like:

Is that the pillarless coupe? Nice cars. On looking at the inside of one that had the trim removed I noticed the roof looked like it was bolted on... instant convertible; just weld the doors shut for a bit of body rigidity.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Grimly Curmudgeon decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Yup, it's the pillarless job. Quite often floorless as well. Windows tend to leak almost as well as an XJ6C.

Reply to
Pete M

But the load space is so much higher than pretty much all other estates.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The BX Estate isn't to be sniffed at either - It also has a slightly sloping window (less so than the XM, IIRC)and is almost as long.

Reply to
James Dore

Yep, BX Estates are equally impressive in terms of load capacity - a while back one of the other drivers at work picked up a pallet that was stacked reasonably high and fitted it in his BX Estate. I was amazed. So was the bloke at the despatch department of the company shipping it out.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'll submit an M reg Toyota Carina E as a car for getting a lot of load into.

I got a fridge-freezer into it.

You don't seem impressed!

It was a saloon, not a hatchback or an estate.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

A complete three piece suite? Sofa & two chairs?? I got a complete double wardrobe in the back of the Carlton at the weekend, on top of a wooden bed frame. I'm 6'5 & I still had room to drive it so I'll be sticking with it for a while!

Reply to
adder

The really cunning thing is the suspension will level itself out, which is great. And you can raise it without stands or a jack to do an oil change. Genius.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore