Fiesta MkII XR2 fuel guage

Hi

Havent posted for a while because my car has been nice to me for a while now and not had much going wrong, but alas it wasnt to last.

The fuel guage used to be pretty accurate and wouldnt deviate from where it was meant to be when i went up/down hills or cornered fast etc but recently it can fluctuate from the half way mark when going normally on the flat to off the bottom of the dial when going up a hill. I must admit that i dont know the in's and out's of how fuel guages pick up etc but im guessing its something in the fuel tank at fault. Which leads me onto the next question. Can I fix it myself?!

Any help appreciated as usual

Max

Reply to
Max Hamlet

Normally there's an arm with a float on the end of it, which operates a slider against a resistor. What happens is the wire windings that make up the resistor break / get screwed up and you need a new pickup. Should be pretty cheap for one from a factors (£40 for one for my Volvo). If you're lucky, there's a hatch in the boot floor, you just take that out, smash the old one out then refit the new one. All fairly simple. If you're unlucky, you need to drop the tank. FWIW, I can't remember seeing any hatches in the boot floors of Festers, but OTOH, I've never looked for one.

Reply to
Doki