Fluid change

My wife's car (Nissan Serena 1.6) is due its major service within the next month is it worth while changing the power steering fluid or should I just leave it and top it up if it needs it??

Thanks in advance

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

Leave it.

Reply to
Nuckfut

My Almera manual recommends power steering fluid level inspection only at major services up 72000 miles or 4 years. Nissan do however specify changing the brake fluid at 2 & 4 years, or 36K & 72K miles. I wonder how often this latter job is ever carried out on any car. Has anybody ever been offered a brake fluid change during a service?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Surely the main dealer will just do it, rather than offer it. That said, Uno Hoo! didn't get his done by the Rover dealer when it should have been done. It's meant to be done, because having working brakes is nice.

Reply to
Doki

No sorry I'm servicing the car myself - is it recommended to change the power steering fluid?

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

I must admit when I had to replace the rear cylinders on the Serena yes I changed the fluid flush out the front ones first then the rear with new fluid - brakes have more stopping power now I think anyway

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

A main dealer, or any garage, will usually do as little as they can get away with. For example, the ventilation air filter on my car should be renewed yearly but I know that this had never been done until I recently changed it myself. Brake fluid absorbs moisture (hygroscopic) and should ideally be changed regularly, but failure to carry this out wouldn't necessarily cause a drastic brake failure. The worst scenario would be boiling of absorbed moisture under heavy braking, resulting in brake fade. How about a regular moisture content test, as part of a service?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

"Marty1a" wrote >

No.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It's specified by BMW (and I'd bet others) every two years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

There is no easy way of draining out the old fluid, and introducing any dirt through disconnecting a hose is likely to do more damage than 'old' fluid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've always wondered about the arguments for and against changing PAS fluid - I mean surely it should be changed for the same reasons brake fluid gets changed (the fact that it's hygroscopic), as it's pretty much the same stuff, isn't it? I mean, they're both hydraulic fluid aren't they?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's why I asked Peter - aww well save me a job then lol

Thanks for all the replies

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

introducing any

brake fluid

They are not the same. Try some ATF in your brake system if you doubt me! Apart from this, even if the ATF absorbed a significant amount of moisture [it would turn a thick milky pink] a vapour lock would not be a problem because the temperature is not high enough...... no high friction/high heat brake pads involved don't you know.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

PAS fluid is the same as auto fluid, and I've not heard of it absorbing moisture. Many makers these days don't recommend a change at all for auto transmissions while they do for brakes.

IIRC, brake fluid is vegetable based while auto is mineral. While ATF can get hot, I don't think it has to cope with the same temperatures as brake fluid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It's the same stuff as Automatic gearbox fluid.

Reply to
Nuckfut

sort off and you do change auto trans fluid so why not power steering?

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

"Marty1a" wrote

and you do change auto trans fluid so why not power steering?

ATF is used for its low froth rate and low viscosity in the PS system. Its other admirable quality of being friction modified with anti squawk agents for smooth and quiet engagement of oil immersed clutches and brakes is not used in steering systems and these additives are not challenged and therefore do not need to be replenished, even partially as is the case in transmissions.

Huw

Reply to
Huw