Focus Starting Glitch

Hi all - my Ford Focus has a bit of a glitch with starting first thing in morning ... It fires first time when key is turned but then cuts out immediately - second turn of ignition starts ok when revved .... This only happens after standing overnight otherwise ticking over and running well and starts first time during day . Have changed plugs and HT leads so don't think it is any thing with dampness etc. Any ideas anyone ? Thanks for any help

Ford Focus 1.8 Z Tec

Reply to
andy

In message , andy writes

Perhaps its losing fuel pressure in the line from the pump overnight?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Genuine plugs and leads? Plugs gapped to 1mm, rather that the 1.3mm they are sometimes supplied with?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

thinking about this, don't car have electric fuel pumps in the tank these days ? Perhaps air gets in the line ?

Reply to
mr p

Thanks for replies - my thinking is towards fuel related It fires first time but you need to rev engine straight away or it dies...... There is a hissing noise from left rear of engine ( looking from front ) so could be something to do with a vacuem leak in hose possibly ? Anyone experienced this ?

Reply to
andy

should say evident when ignition is switched off !

Reply to
andy

there should not be a hiss. some fords have vacuum operated heater flaps, any leak in those will give a hiss and yes that could well cause your starting fault.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

But not the Focus, AFAIK.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

if there is a vacuum leak it might cause an audible hiss, if so it will probably be remote from the engine (or it would stop instantly) so have a good look for any vacuum pipes off the inlet manifold, there is usually one that goes to a bit of gubbins on the firewall at the back of the engine bay

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have read all the replies. I did not see Idle Control Valve suggested so I will throw it in the mix. I seem to recall similar symptoms on my Focus 1.8LX, culminating months later in not being able to idle at all.

HTH,

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Nobody mentioned it because it didn't fit those particular symptoms i.e. starts then cuts out then starts again and is fine for the rest of the day.

Reply to
Paul Giverin