Ford KA

Hi My granddaughter has a 1.3 Ford KA, but not got the log book back from swansea yet and wish to the tappets which are noisey. I have the VIN number if it helps?? I need to know the exact year of car also?

TIA Terry

Reply to
Terry

These are usually noisy due to lack of servicing.

inlet 0.2 exhaust 0.3 mm

look up the details using the registration info on DVLA licence check.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thank you for speedy reply Mrcheerful...would these settings be with a Hot or cold engine please?

Terry

Reply to
Terry

And again, in English this time, please....

Reply to
SteveH

cold engine

Reply to
Mrcheerful

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1i7fnf4.1ql7husqcooa1N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

Ask Mr. Cheerful, he seems fluent. ;-)

Reply to
Tunku

I thought I got the gist of it.: A rattly old KA has come into the family, no V5 yet, what are the valve clearances and are there any variations (in valve clearances) between years? (if so how do you tell?)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I didn't think it difficult to understand, but then I'm not SteveH so can't comment on his reading abilities.

Reply to
DervMan

Mrcheerful ("Mrcheerful" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's a Ka. Of _course_ the tappets rattle.

It'd be more worrying if they didn't.

Reply to
Adrian

Did you know that if that engine has the oil changed on a very regular basis (6 monthly) they don't get noisy? It's true, I have seen ONE, it sounds like a little sewing machine!!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ours was quiet, too - oil changed every 5,000 miles (inside every three months, over the top but for a price of fuel I figured it was worth it), otherwise serviced as standard.

If some Moppet didn't write it off at the ~82K point I'd still be running it now with ~125,000 on the odometer. And I'd still expect it to be quiet.

Reply to
DervMan

They're never brilliant though. They apparently can be fine as long as the owner was a virgin grandmother who changed the engine oil and adjusted the clearances every time she drove it, but generally there'll be some rattling as it's not a brilliant engine.

Reply to
Doki

Thank all for your sensible input...

Terry