Ford Ka ecu

The ecu on my wifes ka has got water into it and is dead, Anyone replaced one of these on a later duratec model with the sim24 pcm, Can it be done, why are they all different part numbers, What does the J38AC mean.

Reply to
Blackrabbit

induction ring in the ignition lock barrel, so to replace the ECU with one from a scrapper you will need the ECU, the PATS immobiliser module and the ring in the lock barrel.

Alternatively, you can source just the ECU but you will need to tow it to a dealer or somebody who has the Ford WDS system for it to be 'paired up' with the immobiliser.

I had a similar problem last year with SWMBOs diesel Fiesta. The immobiliser cutoff module in the injection pump failed, meaning the car couldn't be started. I managed to remove and dismantle the pump myself and replace the part, but I still couldn't start the car without giving my local Ford dealer =A365 to hook it up to WDS.

Reply to
a.tucker

induction ring in the ignition lock barrel, so to replace the ECU with one from a scrapper you will need the ECU, the PATS immobiliser module and the ring in the lock barrel.

Alternatively, you can source just the ECU but you will need to tow it to a dealer or somebody who has the Ford WDS system for it to be 'paired up' with the immobiliser.

I had a similar problem last year with SWMBOs diesel Fiesta. The immobiliser cutoff module in the injection pump failed, meaning the car couldn't be started. I managed to remove and dismantle the pump myself and replace the part, but I still couldn't start the car without giving my local Ford dealer £65 to hook it up to WDS.

The immobilizer has been part and parcel of the ECU for a good while now- on ECU 5 and later units. There is *no* separate immobilizer unit.

Firstly, most of the Duratec ECU's are the same, but a new one will require a full 'OS' download for the car / engine it is to run by a dealer, in adition to being programmed to accept the existing keys.

How on earth did it get wet to this degree?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

the PCM/ECU on this model is located behind the dash on the passenger side- it must be removed to gain access to the PCM. then the connector is held on by a shear bolt- you'll need a drill and a VERY steady hand there is a TSB out for this problem- the water ingress comes in though the baulk head and along the wires into the PCM

Reply to
ford_technical_

Kinky watersports ;-)

Reply to