Older car servicing help

First, I've never owned a private car so I know naff all about servicing. But my daughter bought her first car last October from a Nissan dealership...it was an X-reg Micra 1.0S Manual with 19K on the clock. So in a few months its coming up to MOT time plus (even though she has done only

1200 miles since purchase) I guess it will need a service.

Not so much because of the mileage since the last service, it was serviced by Nissan prior to us picking it up, but a service cause its been a year since the last one.... and that's the query.

Does it need one? Who should I go to? Back to the dealer or an independent? What would be done on that kind of service as I wouldn't know if you would want a major service or a minor service, or what one would consist of? Any garage could say it needs X, Y and Z doing where with folks in the know it would only need X and Y doing...if you see what I mean.

Checking the manual confuses matters as it suggests servicing after so many thousand miles or X years, but the reality because of the low mileage makes it all out of sync i.e. major, minor, interim service...which one?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

regards

Ginga

Reply to
Gingangooli

Yes it will need a service if only as a safety check.

Oil and oil filter obviously and after that many years, brake fluid. Although it's not done many miles I suppose the age may make some rubber components a bit iffy, but I really don't know whether the cam belt needs doing. I'd definitely go to an independent garage, they'll be loads cheaper than a main dealer.

Reply to
Malc

Take it for an oil change at National Tyres - will cost 15 quid for a semi-synthetic oil and filter.

Then get the MOT done - this will highlight any other issues that need dealing with.

A quick check of stuff like coolant, spark plugs and changing the air filter can be done in an hour on your drive at home.

Reply to
SteveH

Timing chain on this model.

Reply to
gazzafield

Yes, which are a well known weak spot on this engine when not treated to regular fresh oil..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

K11 Micras don't have a cam belt, it's a chain and shouldn't normally need attention. Just change the oil regularly (4.5k or 6 months) otherwise the oil feed to the chain tensioner can block, and I think that's the only thing likely to go wrong.

Reply to
BobC

Thanks for the advice all.

Reply to