Freezy lock problem

The key lock on Corolla locks solid at the slightest icy conditions.

I'm alright at home because I can pour hot water over the key and door handle to get in and that does the trick.

I've tried putting some concentrated screen wash in a little squeezy bottle but it does not work. I've heard of little battery heaters to use, but are they any good? I can't imagine a little battery doing a lot of heating?

Halfords used to do a little squirt in anti freeze bottle. Is that the best thing to go for?

Reply to
john stone

Suspect that might be the problem. If there's water in the lock, it can freeze. If the lock is dry, it doesn't. I've put WD40 in locks which seems to help in cold weather.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I don't think Halfords stock it any more; it was the best thing to use as it didn't remove the lubricant from the lack.

In your case, the things you have used so far will make matters worse in the future; some of the water will have got into the lock, making it more likely to freeze, and the detergent in the screen wash will have removed the lubricant.

I would use WD40 to try to disperse the water, and after a couple of days re-lubricate with a silicone-based spray such as:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Whatever you use, don't keep it in the car, especially when you're away from home!

Reply to
Ramsman

Thanks. Wouldn't a little sewing machine oil lubricate the locks just as well, and certainly cheaper?

Reply to
john stone

first you need to get them dry. really the only lube that locks should have is graphite powder. you could of course fit an aftermarket remote controlled locking kit to that door :)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I've always understood that oil is bad for locks as it retains dirt. Powdered graphite is the stuff to use.

Reply to
Ramsman
[...]

Thanks. Wouldn't a little sewing machine oil lubricate the locks just

Yes.

It would then attract every bit of dirt and grit that came its way, potentially damaging the lock.

The rules are:

For locks in the dry, use graphite powder.

For locks in the wet, use silicone.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Cheapest way to buy silicone oil retail is sewing machine lubricant, it doesn't stain the edge of the fabric as you feed it through an overlocker.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Is it hardly any wonder it keeps freezing when you are using a water based product to thaw it, especially just "hot water poured over" ?!?!?!

How about cleaning, then properly lubing the lock and door handle in the first place?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

I don't believe sewing machine oil is silicone, rather it is just very highly refined mineral oil. (White oil; baby oil)

I generally agree with Chris's rules for wet and dry, but I don't see why mineral oil should attract dirt while silicone doesn't.

FWIW I just fixed the same problem on one car with 3-in-1 (oil, not spray), because that was what I had to hand. One advantage of 3 in 1 is that it contains good anti-rust additives.

Reply to
newshound
[...]

Silicone quickly dries to leave a slippery, dry surface; mineral oil just stay as mineral oil.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Really? Not the silicones I know, like the liquid or grease used by plumbers on plastic fittings. I know that things like the FloPlast spray don't leave much trace, but that's because they are mostly propellant with a very fine mist of silicone oil.

Reply to
newshound
[...]

Here's what I have used for car and external door locks for a number of years:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Most of the things you are doing will make the situation worse the next time. You'd be best to use some Lock Deicer

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Couldn't find an MSDS for this, but on a very quick trawl, one made by Panef is just isopropanol with a CO2 propellant. So it will melt ice, but doesn't contain anything particularly to displace the water. For that, mineral oil is probably the best thing, but silicone oils will also work.

I once had an electric device using an AA battery. This worked, but doesn't give you that many shots. OTOH it only has to get you out of trouble once to be worth having.

Reply to
newshound

a cigarette lighter or a match to warm up the key used to be the way, when everyone smoked.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Not sure I'd want to be doing that with a modern key however...

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It shouldn't make much odds, the transponder is in the plastic bit on all common keys, and you only need a bit of warmth, not red hot:)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yeah, I guess.

TBH, I've not had any winter-related problems of this type for years. As soon as it gets cold, I blast each lock with silicone, and then wipe a silicone-sprayed rag all the way around each door seal.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan