Nissan Sunny clutch

Here's a strange one: I am changing the clutch on a Nissan Sunny 1.4, 1994, L reg. When I tried to align the friction plate using the normal technique with a clutch alignment tool I came across something I hadn't seen before. The hole in the flywheel is bigger that the inside diameter of the splines on the friction plate. This meant if I used the alignment tool I couldn't remove it once the alignment was done. Anyone seen this before? Cheers Dave

Reply to
SWQ

Yes. On most modern stuff, the gearbox input shaft is no longer supported at the end by a spigot bearing.

You can either use a universal alignment tool (essentially clamps the friction plate on the spring plate to hold it central). Or if the flywheel/spring plate allows, just use your fingers to centralize the plate by feeling where the friction plate is in relation to the spring plate, in the raised sections around the circumference (not the best description, but best I can think of without a picture).

Reply to
moray

you want one of these

reg

The pilot bearing has fell out of the flywheel??

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll try and get one of those tools. Tim-At first I did think that I'd lost a bearing but there is no bearing surface on the gearbox input shaft, the splines go right to the end and it's not long enough. Cheers Dave

Reply to
SWQ

On FWD clutches where there is no spigot bearing (like yours) it is perfectly easy to align the clutch plate by eye, fit the clutch assy on the flywheel and do the bolts up till they JUST hold the friction plate in place, then using either your eye for positioning or a suitable spacer or drill bit on some cars move the plate till it is centred to the clutch cover, turn the engine over by spanner and keep checking & prodding the clutch plate as necessary till it is central, this is actually very easy to do. When you are happy it is as near as dammit, do the bolts up and fit the box. The fact there is no spigot bearing allows more inaccuracy in position. I have done this dozens of times without any problems, I do have and use the clutch tool that clamps the plate to the cover, but on some vehicles there is no need to remove the box, just move it a few inches away and work through the gap, so access is limited and then I line them up by eye as described.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks everyone, clutch now changed.

1st time I've done one like this, I have to say that life would be more straightforward if they just made the flywheel hole smaller than the splines. Or am I being foolish? Thanks again. Dave
Reply to
SWQ

yes, no-one uses the old type aligner anymore

Reply to
Mrcheerful