Further adventures of a Megane

Son bought a Megane Scenic a while back. Serves him right, but he keeps bothering me about the bloody thing like I recommended it!

Anyway, at some point someone chopped all the wires off wot go to the original radio and allegedly this has stopped the interior lights, electric mirrors and clock working, according to the previous owner. Son took the car to Halfords today for to get the wires looked at with a view to getting a CD player put in it but the Halfords monkey couldn't find either a permanent live or a switched one.

He went on to test the fuseboard and reckons that a whole row of fuses are dead - nothing going in, nothing coming out. This is all coming from son so I don't know the exact details. Any common faults spring to mind? Any dodgy earths anywhere that want checking?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

If a whole row of fuses are dead its quite possible one of the main fuses have gone these are usally big jobbies near the battery usally between 60 and 100 amps .

If the fuses are ok then its possble that some muppet has disconnected the wire between the two fuse boxes

Reply to
steve robinson

That sounds likely. I'll get him to check them.

It had the head gasket done before he got it so anything could have happened.

Thanks.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

If he has recently run out of washer fluid and tried using it, it could have blown fuse. Its a small 15A or so fuse and the one that controls the radio and CD etc. Might be a glove box one. Worth trying that first can do no harm, but may be bigger issue from what you have said. I'd tell him to get rid of it as soon as possible he'll regret it otherwise. Thery're nothing but trouble Meganes/Scenics. Tell him to go Japanese (-nissan) or German if he can or Ford and Vauxhall also okay. Avoid French shit esp renault.

Reply to
John

The op said the whole line of fuses have no power to them

Reply to
steve robinson

I have three friends with Scenics:

An 02 plate 1.6 that's currently covered 137,000 miles with nothing untoward failing, apart from coil packs and rear shocks. An 02 plate 1.8 at 74,000 miles with only rear shocks having failed and one leaking wheel cylinder, about to be traded for a Grand Scenic. An 03 plate 1.8 just traded in with 89,000 miles against another Scenic.

They seem no worse than anything else that gets family abuse and has to endure school runs etc.

Reply to
Doctor D

how any one can test drive one and then buy it is beyond me.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Depends on your frame of reference I suppose. Son was driving a 1989 Toyota Starlet before this Renault heap. They were saving for a Focus then his girlfriend said "My sister's got a Megane Scenic. They love it. I WANT ONE!" and he caved. Now I'm going to suffer for it, obviously.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I was certainly gobsmacked by how crudely it was built when I saw one on a ramp.

Sodding great big x-bracing crudely attached underneath, and massive great big lumps of iron as anti-vibration blocks on the rear brake backplates.

Somebody else's bargepole.

Reply to
Adrian

They'd just tried a Vauxhaul Meriva?