Gas strut failure?

Well, many of them are that's for sure. A mate bought a fairly old VW Transporter to convert from a panel van into a weekender bus. Much of the outer bodywork was tatty but the previous owner was a gearbox mechanic so the entire floor was covered in a gritty thick grease, and once scraped up and the whole lot degreased, it looked like new (as was anything it had seeped into). ;-)

No, I remember something similar as well. I had one vehicle where it was vented into a bottle and I could pour it back into the crankcase now and again. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That was something I had considered.

Agreed.

Often the case with 'agricultural' stuff, 'needs must' etc. ;-)

I hate buying a s/h vehicle to find that someone has bodged something up ... like using roofing bolts and square nuts rather than the right size machine screw into a perfectly functional tapped lug.

I mean, it's not a problem if it's easy to put right, but not when the bodge has done further damage.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok ... (I thought the bonnet was ally on those)?

I've come across some of them. ;-)

Hmm, so I'm not imagining all of it then? ;-)

I think I've had the Meriva tailgate move in the wind before but possibly only once the struts had started to weaken or it was particularly cold that day?

From memory I might have experienced similar with the Sierra estate tailgate but I did have that car over 20 years.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sounds much like the bottle I had on my enfield 250 but the emulsion was too bad to stick back in the engine.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

My (Madras) Enfield 350 didn't need one but I think you are right in that such might have been more / equally common on motorbikes as cars.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Update:

They arrived this morning and I fitted them a few minutes ago (using my head as prop, handy being 6' 2" and my Leatherman to free the clips on the old units). ;-)

I did the right one first and it seemed to make little difference. When I took the left one off it was completely de pressurised.

They / it mush have been getting weaker as even in the 15 DegC it is out there now, the tailgate feels much more like I remember it being at the beginning (when the car was Dads).

Once opened more than about 10 degrees it then opens itself right to the top and can just be pushed closed, without having to manage it at the bottom to prevent it from slamming.

Thanks to all who replied. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The 250 as standard had a small hole on the top crankcase surface covered by a loose disc and a triangular housing, this was to create a vacuum in the crankcase in association with the oil scavenge pump. Mine seemed to wear out exhaust valve stems, this in the days before stem seals and I suspect this combined with bore wear was the problem. My main concern was oil getting on the rear tyre.

I had the engine re-bored but never finished the job as I went to college, so my brother's friend to the project on.

I wish I'd kept that and the subsequent D14/4 but am otherwise quite happy with the current ones.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

No. Some versions of its predecessor, the P6, did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, thanks.

Cheers, T i m