Good socket set?

Still no good. Searched for all 38840's and it's not there. They don't seem to do Kamasa - is that what it was?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yes, and they do a whole range of Kamasa tools. Try googling for KAM-38840E to see what the set looks like. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Kamasa isn't on their list of manufacturers. Have they stopped selling them, or do they just not want to admit it?

That's the jlindustrial part number - won't help you outside their site, and we already know it's not there. Which is why googling for KAM-38840E comes up with nothing. (I did try :-) )

Is it listed here?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I have to stick my neck out here and say i too hate bi-hex sockets. Right size or wrong they never fail to make a mess of the nut or bolt im working on even if i hold them perfectly on line etc. Same with ring spanners - you're living on borrowed time if you use a bi-hex one of anything other than a 14mm+. Maybe toyota use chocolate nuts/bolts. Maybe im clumsy. All i know is i never have a problem with 6 sided sockets/rings, ever, so i agree with the OP and look forward to seeing the suggestions.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Not including ratchet mechanisms or ratchet spanners, as a side note, they'll only warranty their sockets from splitting.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Halfords replaced my 13mm ratchet spanner with no quibbles after it'd been run over and bent :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Wouldnt replace our 8 or 10mm ratchet spanners, both of which collapsed internally with very little effort (removing a weedy bleed nipple from an alu caliper in actual fact) . On taking them back we noticed that they now have signs up saying ratchets are not covered, though IMO this is not legal as those signs were not there when we bought them in the first place.

I might send mine for replacement via you :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Car I was working on the other day had loads of 11mm nuts, which was a surprise. I think it was my friend's Rover 600.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's about the most frequently used size in my toolbox. Citroen, eh...? Gotta love 'em.

Reply to
Adrian

I can't offer an explanation despite many years of working on my own old cars. Far more likely to shear the bolt or stud with smaller sizes than to round off the nut. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry. I thaught it was a Kamasa part No.

No. Try this link instead. Same set, different stockist.
Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Snap-on. No question. _Maybe_ Facom (ratchets and wrenches from Facom though).

Unless you have a Volvo then you only need to buy 10mm, 13mm, 15mm and

19mm to cover nearly everything that will give you trouble. Even at Snap-on prices you can afford to get these few. There's always eBay and the favourable =A3/$ ratio too.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Snap-on. No question.

Overpriced with no guarantee of quality. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Facom ratchet is 72 tooth as against 48 for Snap On means shorter throw between swings, handy in tight spaces, Facom is also about half the price with a lifetime warranty.

Apart from on Snap On gear where the magic name makes the price multiply. Things like CK ,Beta, Facom, Elora, Gedore dont get affected by the hype and can be an excellent buy on ebay.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

CK occasionally suffer from Draper syndrome & rebadge some dodgy tat , the rest (& Britool for spanners & sockets) are all super.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Due to lack of foresight I've been buying sockets one at a time as I need them and I'm pretty sure I've now had to buy everything from 8mm to 24mm plus 27mm, 30mm & 32mm.

Reply to
toad