How to remove Fiat 126 axle stub

I am trying to fit new rear suspension control arm on my '88 Fiat 126, part number 4 here:

I removed old one from the car, and now I need to transfer hub to the new one:

I unscrewed the axle stub nut, and tried to pull out the axle stub. It moves about 5 mm in and out, but that's all. I screwed the nut back on for a few threads, and hit it with a hammer. Not hard, but axle stub does not seem to want to go out.

What do I do? Use a larger hammer, or I can damage something?

Reply to
Yvan

How big was the hammer you were using? If it was a claw hammer or a small ball pein, you can hit it as hard as you like all day long and it'll never move.

Use a proper lump hammer on it. One good whack should see it come out.

Bigger the blob, better the job.

Reply to
Conor

Bigger hammer, and a bit of copper/brass/wood to stop you buggering up the splines if you c*ck up. Given how long it's been there it'll probably have stuck due to a little rust.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nedavno Duncan Wood napisa:

Thank you both, I used bigger hammer, and a piece of hardwood and out it went.

Reply to
Yvan

Asking before you break it isn't always wise, but when it pays off it's worth it & every other time.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nedavno Duncan Wood napisa:

Well it seems that I managed to break something.

When I removed the first axle stub it come out with half of the bearing. I could see rollers within grease. I thought that it is suppose to go out like this, but second one come out without anything, just the axle stub. I already bolted back the first one and if I tighten the nut by it is OK, any more - I can not turn axle stub by hand.

I'll probably have to change the bearing :-(

Reply to
me

It's probably better that you change it now while it's apart rather than put it all back together and THEN decide you want to change it!

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Whilst kind of true they do come apart fairly regularly when you knock the stub out & normally you can refit them without a huge problem if you can get the old race off the stub without abusing it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood