Is it possible for a rim to spin inside the tyre?

Hi all,

Never noticed anything like this before so I thought I'd ask...

I've just had the front tyres replaced on my '01 Saab 9-3 Aero. It had the standard Pirelli P6000s on before but I pushed the boat out this time and bought P ZERO NERO instead. They're 215/45 ZR 17.

On the way home, there seemed to be a lot more wheelspin than I would have expected when accelerating moderately hard in second gear. It's quite a powerful car, and it's always been apt to light up the tyres in second if I wasn't careful, but this seemed a lot worse than normal and I'm sure it didn't come accompanied with the tyre-against-road sound that it used to.

I can only think of three explanations for it:-

  1. P ZERO NEROs have crap grip on damp roads.
  2. They need to get roughened up a bit before they'll grip well.
  3. A rim really is spinning inside a tyre.

They used some white liquid when they fitted the tyres. Not sure if that's a sealant or a lubricant.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

New tyres need running in, any good tyre place would have warned you of that. it is extremely unlikely/(impossible in practical terms) that the tyre has moved in relation to the rim. they may have the wrong pressures in.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

That's favourite i'd have thought - brand new, cold tyres and greasy winter roads.

Reply to
JohnR

forgot to add that good practice (very recommended) is to put the new tyres on the back (unless they are different sizes front to rear)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

mrcheerful . ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Don't go there again. Can we just agree that is not universally accepted?

Reply to
Adrian

Colin Stamp ( snipped-for-privacy@stamp.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sometimes tyres have "mould release agent" - motorbike tyres are notoriously lethal when brand spankin'.

It's about as likely as the driveshaft spinning in the hub.

It's a lubricant to get the tyre onto the rim, and a sealant to stop the air getting out. "Tyre soap".

Reply to
Adrian

I've seen it on a s**te old cav driving through Leeds. May well have been the wrong size tyre for the rim or somethign stupid given the shit driving around that place.

Reply to
Doki

The message from Colin Stamp contains these words:

That's normal. It's a water-based lubricant without which fitting tyres would be a right bastard.

Reply to
Guy King

I was going to say are you sure about that but realized it is until the air pressure seals the tyre rubber onto the rim.

Reply to
JohnR

There was a telly program on a while back and it was filmed at Goodyears factory, they recomended new tyre go on the rear always, this means you always have relative control of the vehicle.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Or was that the other way round??? - Shit I have... forgoton! Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Where on a car should a pair of replacement tyres be fitted?

In general, they should be fitted on the rear axle, irrespective of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive. This will help to keep the car more stable, particularly in wet conditions.

Reply to
JohnR

I know when i fit new tyres on my RWD i have to wear them in, too green and cos of the release agent IIRC. New fronts i get more understeer.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Thought they drove like that everywhere! :o)

Mind you, given the pisspoor traffic 'management' and the rutted, pothole-ridden dirt tracks they have the audacity to call roads round here, no wonder motorists get wound up.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

The message from "Carl Bowman" contains these words:

Wonder how Carlisle got on with their experiment of switching off the traffic lights to improve traffic flow went.

Reply to
Guy King

JohnR ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

We've been here a squillion times before.

You listen to the tyre companies. I'll listen to the wear on the car.

The end that works 'em harder gets the better ones.

End of story. If you want more, Google's got it all.

Reply to
Adrian

Correct.

Reply to