Inside edge of tyre shredded !!!!

Went to the garage yesterday because I noticed there was some wheel wobble at about 70mph.

They took the front wheels off and, to my surprise, the inside edge of the drivers side was completely shredded (down to the wire!!!). Other side was OK.

Garage were pretty unhelpful (it was just a tyre place) but said it was something serious and not just tracking. They had a quick fiddle and said they thought there was some play in the front wheel (bearings).

Can dodgy wheel bearing cause this much damage to a tyre?

Like I said other tyre was fine but this was really bad. Got the spare on drivers side for now (its not that great a spare). Didnt really want to out a brand new one on there and shred that as well.

Any other ideas?

Reply to
paulfoel

Don't drive it as the wheel might detach. get a mechanic to check it.

Probably it is a bottom ball joint, but only inspection will be able to say for sure.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If the mechanical bits are ok, do you have to negotiate speed bumps regularly? Honest John of The Torygraph hates them with a passion and reckons they subject tyres to abuse they aren't designed for. Especially the evil ones known as 'cushions' where they force the wheels apart as you drive over them. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Spookily they're all the way through my estate.

Reply to
paulfoel

Now that would be a bummer !!!!

Reply to
paulfoel

How the f*ck did it get so bad? Don't you ever check your tyres?

Reply to
Conor

Why did I know this wasn't going to be exactly constructive before I read it ! :-)))))

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Well. It was the inside edge and, yes, I do check the tyres 'occasionally'. I think its happened pretty quickly mind....

Reply to
paulfoel

The message from "davek" contains these words:

In what way would that be different from cornering? Apart from being in opposite directions at once, obviously, but since the tyres can't talk to each other there's no way one would know what the other was suffering.

Reply to
Guy King

Just been to the garage (a nationwide autocentre) who reckon theres nothing seriously wrong. Maybe the bearings need adjusting and the tracking checking.

Weird. Never seen that much damage to just one tyre caused by incorrect tracking....

Reply to
paulfoel

Not tracking as if that's out it will destroy both tyres equally. Go to a proper mechanic.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Must've been a few weeks or more since you last checked. Takes a good few hundred miles to do that even in the very worst case.

And I mean check the tyres, not just the tyre pressure.

Reply to
Conor

Rubbish.

Reply to
Conor

Just what did they check if not the tracking?

With unusual bad tyre wear I'd have a proper four wheel alignment check done. Costs around 20-30 quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ask them to check the suspension bushes and general condition of the wishbones.

I had an the inside edge of my n/s tyre "to the wire" with good tread left on the rest. Had a new bearing and o/s wishbone replaced, tracking re-set and toe-in checked and it's now all sorted.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

It can do. I had exactly the same thing happen with a twin-axle caravan; you would not have known visually that anything was wrong until you got right underneath to look behind the tyre, and the towing vehicle was so heavy (lwb LandCruiser) that you just didn't feel any strange towing behaviour. The 'van had travelled about 150 miles we think from the only type of impact that could have damaged the axles, and it wasn't until the next outing was due that we noticed. In this case the cost was about £1200 to repair both axles; luckily the insurance coughed up. The service man who collected it with a Fourtrak said towing it scared him to death!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Well I told them the story and they just checked the ball joints, bearings etc.

Reply to
paulfoel

So you're saying that tracking being out can affect just one wheel?

I must admit I thought 'tracking' was the angle between the two front wheels....

Reply to
paulfoel

It is but with the steering wheel in the straight position, one can be pointing where it should and the other off at an angle. The one pointing off at an angle will scrub.

Reply to
Conor

Rubbish. Hold the wheel at the straight position (one wheel straight the other toe in or out) and the car will veer off to one side.

Remove hand (for a moment) off steering wheel and let the car straighten up, The steeting wheel will find its position and both front wheels will be toeing in or out equal amounts.

Graham