Law on travelling for repairs

Nope - my name's Gordon and always has been.

Reply to
Gordon

You didn't read the page properly.

Reply to
Gordon

It wasn't it was a plain old fiesta !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mike G ("Mike G" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Of course, there's one subtle detail that hasn't been mentioned yet...

It MUST be roadworthy. Even if the MOT still has time to run. With a fail sheet in your hand, it's bloody difficult to argue that you didn't know it wasn't (not that that'd be a defence in law) if it's failed on something which would render it unroadworthy.

Reply to
Adrian

And your insurance company would have a field day if you were involved in a shunt...

Reply to
Conor

Conor (Conor ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Only if the fault was shown to have contributed, IIRC.

Of course, the value of an MOT-fail is negligable...

Reply to
Adrian

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 17:01:03 +0100, Conor wro= te:

Plod disagrees. =

Duncan Wood

That and the other quotes are enough to convince me that it's OK but it appears that you need to fail an MOT beforehand even if you know it will fail (unless the previous one hasn't expired I guess).

Thanks for all your help and sorry if I've just kicked off another massive argument :)

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

It's Friday night... :-)

Reply to
Gordon

You need road tax, insurance and MOT to drive a car.

Reply to
Rob

Well done. You've managed to successfully avoid reading the entire thread, and also understand what the law actually is. Hint : in some circumstances, you only need one of the three things above.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

...unless it isn't actually roadworthy, of course...

There is a fine and quite vague line between 'MOT failure' and 'unroadworthy'.

What do you think we're here for?

Reply to
PCPaul

No, no and no.

In certain common circumstances, yes.

If you're going to jump in to detailed arguments, bring some details.

Reply to
PCPaul

Isn't it no, yes, and no?

Reply to
Gordon

PCPaul (PCPaul ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, no. No, yes, no.

Unless you know of some circumstances where it's possible to drive an uninsured car?

Reply to
Adrian

I can think of plenty where it's possible, few where it's legal.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I did say no, yes, no, but PCPaul is right, there are circumstances where you don't need insurance. Nothing involving public roads in this country though. However this might be considered a bit hairsplitty :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I'd agree with that. However an awful lot of this country isn't public roads...

And the rest of this thread isn't?

Reply to
PCPaul

Even on them in extremis is a valid defense. But if you could use it then you wouldn't be bothered by the legality of the situation.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I like most motor traders can legally drive an un insured car, we have our own insurance which covers *us* not the car.

Reply to
Fred