Texram Immobiliser

I've got a 13 year old Citroen AX with a Texram TKF165 immobiliser fitted by the main dealer which exhibits the following problems ...

a) It seems it is running the battery down in 4-5 weeks (It has a bright 2 colour flashing LED). It could be something else but I'd like to get rid of the immobiliser to eliminate it.

b) In cold temperatures it won't "See" the transponder and the car cannot be started.

I'd be happy to strip it out but it has a myriad of wires that just disappear into the harness, plus a multi way molex type plug, plus a screened cable which runs to the antenna (??). It seems that was the main feature of how it used to "work" a thief wouldn't know which wires had to be joined, which wired up to 12v or which earthed.

Texram seems to have been taken over and there are no useful details on the web.

Since a 13 year old AX is not exactly a magnet for thieves I'd be happy to dispense with the immobiliser.

Anybody any idea how remove it and restore the wiring ?

TNX.

Derek.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

If it is the type of LED which flashes on and off every second or so it will run down the battery in that sort of time. It's better to use a low current 7555 timer chip to flash an LED every 10 seconds or so which reduces the current consumption to near zero (about 2 mA average).

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Derek Geldard explained on 18/04/2008 :

Nothing too difficult about removing an after-market alarm/ immobiliser.

There are only a mix of two basic configurations for the connections...

  1. Some will be parallel connections, where an existing loom wire is simply tapped onto.
  2. The others will be series connections, where an existing loom wire is cut to allow the unit to break a feed.

Start with pen, paper and disconnect the battery. Follow each wire from the unit to the loom connection and make lots of notes as you simply remove items 1. Then move on to items of type 2, except this time the original loom wires where they have been cut need to be rejoined. Make careful notes of wire colours of both loom and the unit, where ever they are connected together. There will likely be no more than one or two of the type 2 in the system, but it is crucial to find these and repair the cut loom wires.

Where the existing loom needs to be rejoined, the joints need to be good ones. My preferred method is to strip both ends, splice and tin the splice with solder, before covering with tape. A chocolate block

5amp connect can be used as a temporary joint, just to confirm your attempts at removal have worked.

Your notes should be good enough to allow you to put everything back, should it all go wrong.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm assuming he has two separate faults here?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan