Law on travelling for repairs

"Fred" > drive an

Same as the insurance for most of us. It's the driver who is insured to drive, not the car. The only difference being that the policyholder is usually insured to drive a specific car. Any insurance for the car itself, only comes in the form of comprehensive, or fire and theft additions to that basic cover. Something that many seem to forget when the subject of insurance comes up. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

So you're insured. You prat.

(Sorry, Mike, but Fred's in the bozo bin, so I didn't directly see his drooling)

Reply to
Adrian

What's the point of putting people in the "bozo bin", s*****ad, if you're going to reply to them when someone else quotes them?

Reply to
Graz

Me too - and it looks like they did... however, we'd drive >100+ miles to get the Ka serviced and repaired at a trusted dealership.

That said, I didn't need to make the trip as a MOT failure...

Reply to
DervMan

I'm glad I live in his "Bozo bin" , talking so someone with the IQ of a Beetroot can be annoying and is generally pointless ;-)

Reply to
Fred

slightly grey area , if the car fails the mot it shouldnt be on the road so driving it away to be repaired after an mot might not be legal , cant find anywhere where this has been challenged.

As for taking it to a friends house unless its also a registered business in the motor trade then its unlikely to wash with the plod--

Reply to
steve robinson

If that's the case, then why would there be laws about your right to drive it away from a failed MOT?

Remember you can fail an MOT for a split wiper blade or a duff bulb. It doesn't make it dangerous to drive.

Sounds like it would wash with the courts, though.

Actually I've been in that situation - driving to a place of repair, no tax or MOT. Got pulled, explained, was told to carry on to my destination and just got a producer. No complaints about the MOTlessness.

Reply to
PCPaul

Thats common sense in practice , which is not always the case with some of the plod and as ou said it depends on what the car failed on

If the car is in a dangerous condition and any reasonable person would realise it was dangerous then mot or not its still an offence to drive it on the road

Reply to
steve robinson

These were TrafPlod, which I have always thought of as the sensible side of road policing. They were hanging about in a farm gateway when I drove past then pulled out and followed me for a few miles before pulling me over.

I asked how they knew I had no tax and they said it was by the colour of the tax disc.. I suspect it was really ANPR but this was back when the general availability of car mounted ANPR wasn't well known.

Yep, the MOTedness state isn't worth much at all, generally. The car is roadworthy or it isn't.

Reply to
PCPaul

So what's that got to do with the price of Cabbage? you were talking about cars not people.

Yabba dabba dooo Kloo

Reply to
Fred

It's not grey, if it doesn't conform to the construction & use regs it's illegal, if it does it isn't.

The phrase in the statute is "place of repair", nowhere does it mention a business.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

steve robinson ("steve robinson" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Rubbish. It's fine - as long as it's roadworthy. If it's NOT roadworthy, then it wasn't legal to be driving it before you took it for the test.

Reply to
Adrian

So assuming this interpretation is correct, what about driving while SORN'ed? The car fails the MOT and the tax runs out, you sorn it because there is not other option. Can you take it to a place of repair and / or MOT station legaly?

Reply to
davidjones

davidjones ( snipped-for-privacy@myself.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If it's not taxed, it has to be SORNed - so, yes, that does still apply.

Reply to
Adrian

Same applies.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Not that I would ever do anything like that, but you have to wonder if you could get away with saying "I was just taking it to a mates to get some work done" if caught untaxed, SORNed and non-MOTed by an ANPR camera. This exemption does not get you out of no insurance, but could just about remove the need for tax and MOT for people who do not care abvout the consequences of an accident.

Reply to
davidjones

davidjones ( snipped-for-privacy@myself.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Only if there was a pre-booked MOT involved - and always assuming the car was actually roadworthy.

Reply to
Adrian

Then I assume if you were caught driving while sorn'ed you could claim that you were taking it to have some work done for the MOT, esp. if you were caught by a NPR camera not a real live plod. I guess most people who would exploit this would also not have insurance, but worth bearing in mind (not that I would ever do anything like that [wistles inocently]).

Reply to
davidjones

davidjones ( snipped-for-privacy@myself.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You could, yes, but you'd only get away with it if you were heading to/ from a pre-booked MOT.

If the car wasn't taxed OR SORNed, then you wouldn't even need to get out of bed to get nicked for that, so there's really no difference.

ANPR just tells Real Live Plod to stop you.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, I did not really think it through. Also I did not mean to post basically the same reply twice, google groups was being rubbish.

If it did not need to be a prebooked MOT as is indicated at

(butgenerally dissagreed with here) it would be doable? Probably thereason they make it so hard for you (and not all the extra fines theyget, no never).

I thought those vans at the side of the road would also check the MOT and tax databases and send you an automated bill? If you get caught by a speed camera while MOT expired you can get fined for that as well.

Reply to
davidjones