Loss of traction

Yesterday, when turning left onto a gently inclining road, in my 1992 Peugeot 205 (1.4 GR) the car lost traction as I began to accelerate. I had to ease off the accelerator to regain traction.

I'd be grateful for your opinions on what might have caused this.

Reply to
Paul

Are you sure it was traction?

Reply to
Taz

Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@nospampaul.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

An excess of welly over grip. I think we can rule out outright welly. So it's probably shit on the road.

Reply to
Adrian

FWD. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from snipped-for-privacy@nospampaul.plus.com(Paul) contains these words:

Failure to accurately assess the amount of available grip.

Reply to
Guy King

I know the feeling well, take it steady.

Reply to
JohnR

either the wheels span or the clutch is slipping

Reply to
mrcheerful

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@nospampaul.plus.com(Paul) saying something like:

Somebody fitted a bigger engine overnight.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Its winter, it can be icy, you have driven over some loose grit or a manhole cover, you are just to heavy with your right foot, or your tyre needs pumping up or replacing, or a combination of these.

Reply to
R. Murphy

snipped-for-privacy@nospampaul.plus.com(Paul) wrote in news:4217bb4a$0$15760$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

Worn tyres in the wet?

Will

Reply to
Will

Theres a road in Sheffield, Carlise St that has a quarry on, and its the middle of the city, not out in the sticks. As soon as it rains the tractions is none, same as ice as the lorries drop crap all over, but the side road on the give way is on a incline onto the fast straight. So where you would normally pull out safe, people try this but spin and stay in the path of the other car, or if you turn off onto the side road, it was a fast bend but the council titend the apex you would mass understeer. In my RWD i always get tons of opp lock all the way into 4th even with a light right foot.

I dont think that pug would have had torque steer, i hate FWD more than i hate the French

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Poor observation. You failed to take account of the road surface conditions and use the throttle accordingly.

James

Reply to
James

Check the condition, and pressures of your tyres!

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Apologies for my absence, and thanks to all who replied.

I've just checked the tyres;

FOS 28psi 4mm FNS 28psi 4mm ROS 31psi 6mm RNS 31psi 6mm

No cuts or bulges.

It was'nt actually raining, but the road was very slightly damp from earlier drizzle. Thing is, as I turned in, the wheels seemed to have gripped the road, but then lost traction as I fed in a little more power (I'd estimate about 2500rpm in second gear).

I'm a little surprised no-one's mentioned the possibility of worn shock absorbers (car's done 93k on originals). So as no one has, does that rule them out!

Reply to
Paul

worn shocks don't directly cause wheel spin, the driver does. so replace the driver with a good one and the problem will disappear.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That I doubt.

Reply to
Adrian

Thats cos you can't drive....

Reply to
Conor

The message from Adrian contains these words:

That I know what I'm talking about or that they're original?

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That they're still any good after that distance.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I've driven cars and vans with duff dampers and I know what it feels like. When I drive it over bumps there's no appreciable rebound, it's not stamping its feet on corners and isn't showing any lack of grip on choppy surfaces.

And the self-levelling's still working.

Must admit, that came as a surprise. I'd assumed it wouldn't work, then loaded it up with a considerable weight of bricks and after about half a mile it'd jacked itself up nicely. Didn't half look silly when I unloaded it!

Reply to
Guy King