Magazines

Hi all,

I'm researching a new car for a friend. I want to buy a magazine, but can't stand What Car where everything is good. Are there any more objective motoring magazines or am I best off making a shortlist, and going for test drives, without their "help"?

Antony

Reply to
antgel

IMHO, Autocar do the most objective and thorough tests.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from antgel contains these words:

Wow - a niche in the market "What Car-magazine"!

Reply to
Guy King

What sort of car are you interested in? Maybe we can help. :-)

Reply to
neutron

The Parkers guides seem to be reasonable. Either the on line version or the little book you get in the newsagent though I think the online version has a bit more detail in it.

Reply to
Malc

Evo.

hehe

Reply to
T.

That's the thing, she's not sure. Doesn't know if she wants a convertible or hatch, 2 or 4 seat, new or second-hand. Shortlist so far is MX5, MR2, Mini Cooper, A3, 206(CC), Lupo, Golf, Celica, CR-V, Ibiza etc etc. Budget around £15K. More of a longlist really.

Reply to
antgel

He could get a really mint 2nd hand BMW 750iL for that money. Probably more round the 11k price. That would be lovely, surely? :)

Reply to
T.

Nah. The one criteria that I have been able to ascertain is that it shouldn't be a big car.

Reply to
antgel

£15k is a lot of money from the short-lost above.

I'd say, spend half that and do something else with the rest.

Lupo GTi is like £6k-£7k area.

Maybe look at the the Mitsubishi Colt CZT. 1.5 turbo. Looks great on a paper, and can probably be modified to something quite amazing.

Leon Cupra? TDi or 1.8T Civic Type-R? 2nd hand their £9k upwards Mini Cooper S would give good gains from simple mods Seat Teledo V5

Play around on AutoTrader for figures. Search the net for reviews.

Good luck!

Reply to
T.

I'd get an A3