Meriva A, the plot thickens (firms up)?

As I'm with the AA would they also know where to thump it do you think? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Right, another code reader came today and this one gives you all sorts of diagnostics and real time displays from all sorts of systems.

Whilst running some tests the ignition light was coming on, the clocks dying but it was still starting ok.

The only system that didn't seem to want to display any metrics was the 'Instruments'? BCM, ECU, ABS etc all chatted ok (on the different pins as previously discussed here).

Tried the same thing in the Corsa C with the same results so I'm not sure if it was a valid test or not (and cleared a few codes out of the ECU whilst there). ;-)

Going back out there later the Meriva wouldn't start (span over ok) with the dash showing these:

Ignition turn on:

A couple of seconds later and from then on:
However, the Immobiliser status read as:

Ignition Status,On 12V Transponder Key,Transp. Key 1 Transponder Status,Correct TP-Key Transponder-Key 1 Status,Programmed Transponder-Key 2 Status,Programmed Transponder-Key 3 Status,Not Programmed Transponder-Key 4 Status,Not Programmed Transponder-Key 5 Status,Not Programmed Engine Request,Received Immobiliser Signal,Transmitted Security Wait Time,Inactive Programmed Outputs,None

And that looks ok to me so if it wasn't immobilised, could we be back to the crank sensor or could a dash plug fault have the same effect?

FWIW I found my original USB ELM 327 V1.4 and OBDAutoDoctor demo saw the interface and car OK but by that time it wouldn't run so I couldn't see if anything was going on. Maybe it will be ok in the morning.

If it starts in the morning I'll see if my mate can put his Suntune on it.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

those dash pics look normal, I would go back to basics: when it won't start pull a plug lead off, stick an old plug in and see if it is sparking ok when you turn it over.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ok.

In case it's not an ignition fault, like fuel injection or somesuch (not sure what else it could be after that) you mean? I'm still going along with the idea of it (also?) being a crank sensor so if I can get it in my mates garage, maybe change that (anyway) at the same time.

FWIW, that car always starts 'on the button' and the fact that it isn't suggests to me that there something 'more' (than just something being wrong) is wrong, given the randomness of all the other things that are going on.

Recapping out loud.

1) Randomly won't start, typically when it has been run briefly and then left for a bit (3-4 times in two weeks so far).

2) When running, the instruments cut out (speedo, rev counter and temp) the ignition light comes on. The instruments often recover quickly but the ignition light never does (till the ignition is turned off and on again).

3) The ignition light can come on when the vehicle is stationary and can do so several times (after an ignition reset / restart), potentially until the engine is warm then I'm not sure if it comes on from that point (as if there is a thermal range that is sensitive).

4) It has never cut out the engine once running and it is charging when the ignition light is on.

5) When it is running I believe it is running properly (not in limp home etc).

6) There appear to be repeated fault codes indicating something is wrong and that are 'known' for this range of vehicles (Meriva A / Corsa C etc).

7) I have seen the Fault (Car / Spanner) light on a couple of times.

If I'd not had man flu, had a heated garage or been doing other stuff in the meantime I'd have looked at more stuff by now. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ran the car down to my mate and we stuck his Sun Modus on it.

We saw the ignition light coming on, the instruments going off and on but no better clues as to why than I already had with my OBD kit. ;-(

However, the experiment does seem to indicate some sort of thermal / timing 'issue' in that even with us sitting with both front doors open and the heater off, the 'problems' still appeared at around 80 deg (engine) and then seemed to go away once properly hot.

Along with that we also saw mention of engine coolant temperature sensor (I think) but there was no sense of any issue with that when looking at the diagnostics.

So, I'm going to see if it will start every so often as it cools down tonight and if / when it doesn't see if I can get any indication of why (fuel pump / spark etc, I could put an old strobe on an HT lead if it still has any). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

How did you finally solved the problem? My Meriva is doing completely the same. Please share the solution

Reply to
noramas

see solved on the 10th of april, basically a reconditioned ecu

Reply to
Mrcheerful