Mondeo flat battery causing windscreen wipers to operate?

'96 Mk I 2.0l Mondeo still on it's first battery. Washing the car today with the radio on when after 10 mins the radio failed. On inspection the radio was dead but the dash lights were all lit as normal. Recycled the ignition and the radio burst back into life but the car wouldn't start (solenoid clicks). Also the windscreen wipers self started and the speedo jumped to max mph.

Is the above indicative of a low charge on the battery? Is it worth recharging overnight or should I just plump for a new on given it's age?

Reply to
Dave Allen

Sometimes a dirty contact on the battery will cause a failure when a high load is demanded, but not for low load items like dash lights. Try remaking the battery connections before you splash out on a new battery.

Reply to
llywiwr