Mondeo immobiliser info needed

My son's recently acquired Mk1 Mondeo only came with one key and unfortunately not the red one so he had to get our local Ford dealer to
program some new ones.
They cut two new blanks but were unable to program the PATS immobiliser because they said that their equipment (FDS 2000?) was unable to communicate with the immobiliser.
The immobiliser seems to be functioning normally because the new cut, unprogrammed keys won't start the engine. I assume that the immobiliser is part of the EEC and that the diagnostic socket is in the drivers footwell above the pedals.
Is there anyway I can check the wiring between the socket and the EEC/Immobiliser? The Ford dealer will charge 60/hour to diagnose the problem. My lad is already facing 80 for cutting and programing the new keys so I'd prefer to try and fix the fault myself. With a bit of luck it will just be a poor connection somewhere.
Any suggestions welcome.
--
Paul Giverin

Why do people still do this?
I thought it was pretty universally known that buying a car without the immobiliser 'master' key is a bad idea?
SteveH wrote:

it can be sometimes awkward to program keys with fds but not impossible suggest you ask for their master tech to do it rather than they just give up