Mondeo (major oil loss)

Hi

Getting my brother's Mondeo (136PS 2.0 Ghia saloon) on L plate back on the road. Been in the garage (at home) until he had sufficient funds for tax, MOT, etc. Currently on 88,000 miles.

On moving it from the garage there was the usual rubbing noise from the brake discs (been garaged for 5 months), but then a loud cracking noise at full steering lock. I thought it was a dry CV joint or tie-rod end. After running it up the lane and back I noticed it was losing oil (not unlike a scene from the Poseidon Adventure) which was working it's way onto the O/S wishbone and then onto the road.

Probably lost at least half the engine oil. Car now back in the garage!

Any clue to what's given way? Pretty sure it's not sump related, although I haven't been under it yet. I assume there's a gasket or rubber oil seal that's failed?

Thanks

Spart

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completionx-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
spart

Firstly I would replace or remove and check the oil filter, as a split oil filter will throw out oil as you describe. Otherwise these do suffer from leak problems from the oil pump, which is also there.

Aaaah, but is it engine oil? Turning to full lock can overpressurise the power steering system, you might have a pipe or something in the power steering circuit given way, maybe even the pressure sensor which is very near the oil filter !!!!!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for info. It's definately engine oil as far as I'm aware. The dipstick level is just showing - although I did check hydraulic fluid resevoir which was ok.

I'll have a look to see if I can see anything obvious.