More Re R plate car 1st reg 99

All is revealed, I think. The car was manufactured in 97 . And was registered abroad.It was registered in the uk in 99 and was given a R plate in keeping with its age. Does that make sense?

Reply to
Capt T

In news:441abee8$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Capt T wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Yup.

Reply to
Pete M

Sort of, though for some reason I thought that the reg letter of a UK plate related to when it was first registered in the UK. I'm wrong though, by the looks of it!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The Reg plate relates to when the car was made NOT registered, My Legacy's V5 shows 1st registered as 2005 but it's an M reg....

Reply to
Tim Anderson

My neighbour had aquired a brand new Maestro a few years after the factory stopped making them, iirc it was1997 but he had to have it as an N plate.

Reply to
Tony

Tony ( snipped-for-privacy@two.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

One of the CKD ones that'd been to Bulgaria and back before being assembled...

Reply to
Adrian

Right, ok, you've got this theory (probably truth, I dunno....) about the reg plate reflecting the actual year of manufacture, but what about these cars that sit out in fields for 18 months or so unregistered? They normally get on the latest plate, or nobody would buy them as new. Or am I missing something here???

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@whataloadofforeskinbollocks.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It reflects nothing more than the date of the vehicle's first registration.

If it's an import to the UK, it goes by the foreign paperwork.

Reply to
Adrian