MOT

My car (Nissan Almera 1.6GX) sailed through it's MOT earlier this week at National Tyres (half price offer - £21). Comments were made about mismatched tyres, with regard to brand & speed ratings. All tyres are

175/65 R14 with plenty of tread and no sign of uneven wear, including the spare. Both fronts are Confort, rated 82T. RL is a 'Stunner' rated 82H and RR is a Dunlop, also rated 82H. I understand that T rating is up to 119mph and H is up to 130mph. I really can't see any problem here. I rarely exceed 80mph in any case and would doubt that the car is capable of 119mph. I do inspect my tyres regularly for condition & pressure and even my spare is 5 psi above pressure, just in case. My next plan is to fit some quality H rated tyres to the front and move the Conforts to the rear. Another comment was slight corrosion on a couple of brake pipes - why do car manufacturers still persist in using mild steel brake pipes when rustproof alternatives are available cheaply, eg Kunifer. Modern cars are now practically immune to corrosion, apart from the brake piping, which seem to me to be vastly more important. I once replumbed a car completely, using Kunifer, for about £25. Any comments most welcome.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

You are talking about the industry that saved a dollar per petrol tank at the expense of making them explode if they crashed...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George