MOT failure - sell?

My 1983 Ford Escort 1.6GL Automatic has failed it's MOT. Not unexpectedly - the body has been a problem for some years now. RUST ! It's been patched-up and waxoyled successfully for the last 5 years or so, but now with the front and boot floors starting to corrode, and both chassis rails and wheel arches rusting near the seatbelt mountings, it is truly uneconomical to repair. Mechanically it's still OK - with genuinely less than 65k miles on the clock. Any recommendations for getting rid of it profitably? Would scrappies pay to receive it these days?

-Roy- (Surrey, England)

Reply to
Roy Hammond

unexpectedly -

scrap is 25 pounds a ton at present

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Put it on Ebay emphasising the good mechanics and that it's for spares only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could bung it on the website below - but be sure to mention a rough=20 location of where the car is .

As for price your probably looking at =A320-=A330 max .

--=20

SOR

unexpectedly -

The only way you are going to make any money on it is of you know somwone who needs the engine, but make sure the car gets properly signed over to him, then the disposal of the rest is his problem.

Probably not. We are currently charging £25 to dispose of a car if we have to collect it. Not sure what happens if someone drives one in, we probably wouldn't charge, but we certainly wouldn't pay for it.

Reply to
SimonJ

Put it in the "Bedrock Evening News" small ads. They like cars without floors ;-) !!! Get a scrappy to take it if you can..... most now charge to take em away..... E-bay buyer may give you a few pounds as previously stated...... Especially if someone is refurbishing an XR3 or the likes.

JK

unexpectedly -

Reply to
JK

The message from "SimonJ" contains these words:

TMS in Telford /give/ around that when they collect.

Reply to
Guy King

Saw 2 XR3i cabriolet bodyshells at Albert Looms in Derby at weekend.

tend to shift cars that are under 15/20 years old to the crusherquite quickly. They have space to allow older stuff to be kept untilit has been well stripped. Nothing is stacked until it is 1ft high. What a scrappy pays or charges depends on where you are in the country. Many southern scrappies could be out of business soon as they are on too small a site to make it economic to make the changes that are required.

Peter Hill

Don't try and scrap a car in Aberystwyth, Wales. The nearest scrappy is about 30 miles away in some godforsaken village and since they have a near monopoly in the area (no one else nearer, and council doesn't do it), they can get away with charging 80 quid to collect scrap cars :(

Reply to
Dan

Bloody hell, I'll remember that should the need ever arise!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Saw a couple of adverts in this weeks free ads (Yorkshire) with offers of £20.00 payment for any car needing taking away.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Pays to shop around!

Reply to
SimonJ

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Dan saying something like:

Aren't there any piers nearby?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I got £25 for driving my cav to the scrappies in Morley (near Leeds). They knocked off £2 per tire, and would have knocked off £5 if I left the battery in (it is only 1 year old, so I kept it).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

To bring you all up-to-date. I rang around the 4 nearest dismantlers/breakers, and their offers ranged from a maximum of £40 to me, down to me having to pay them £25, (in each case assuming I drove the car to them). In the event the guy (Sierra Spares Aldershot) who had quoted the best deal denied it when I arrived - saying he didn't pay to receive any car - running or not! I took the car to the next best offer (Aldershot Car Spares) - £27 per tonne:; they weighed it and I received £24.60 cash in hand. All very professional, official receipt, V5 transfer signed and all. I'm content to see the 'old faithful in their hands - whether they crush it as it stands or dismantle it first. Saga now over! Now about to buy a replacement...! New saga!

-Roy- (Surrey, England)

unexpectedly -

Reply to
Roy Hammond

My girlfriend advertised her heap of an Orion in Loot (free adverts) and amazingly someone paid her £50 for it and she's had several more phone calls since from other potential purchasers. She was completely honest in the advert, stating it drove OK, but had a serious rust problem and no MOT.

Regards Kev

Reply to
Gerbil

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gerbil) contains these words:

There's not shortage of drivers for whom this is no bar to a happy day out in the car.

Reply to
Guy King