Citroen AX rear brakes

I'm attempting to replace the rear brake shoes on my citroen AX.

But I can seem to get the rear drum off. (I don't have the handbrake on). The haynes manual says release the rear brake adjust if the drum is awkward but I can't see a bloody thing through the bolt holes.

Any clues or advice on doing this.

Thanks

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Get a maglite - the smallest size you can get (around 8mm in diameter). They're an absolute godsend - I got one to adjust the handbrake on my Carlton at it did the trick nicely. They're expensive for what they are at abour a tenner, but you might get one cheap on ebay.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I hope you've removed the centre nut first ... and remember to replace it with a new one (and stake the edge into the groove).

Reply to
SDD

  1. Take the nut[s] off...

  1. Hit it (repeatedly) hard with a big hammer - don't be shy with it.

Reply to
Tom Burton

Be a little careful - if the drum is cast iron, it could shatter if you whack nine bells of s*** out of it with a bloody great hammer! I find they usually give in if you squirt some Plus Gas or WD-40 (Plus Gas seems better at this) down the wheel nut holes (unless it's one of those horrible ones where the wheel bearings are built into the drum, and you have to take the whole lot out), then hit the drum firmly on the front face using a copper-faced hammer (these are expensive, but worth it, in my opinion!).

Make sure the drum spins freely first (i.e. handbrake isn't binding), and de-adjust the handbrake as far as it'll go. You often find a wear ridge on the inboard edge of the drum which can make it a bit reluctant to come off over the shoes, so backing off the handbrake as much as possible helps.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth

I cheated when i did mine. First i undid the centre nut. Then i applied my three leg puller .... that soon persuaded it to open up!!! (Obviously this can tear the linings off, but i was replacing them anyway so not a problem).

Reply to
SDD

The AX rear drum includes in it a normal bearing ( Not a taper roller). The inner race binds on the stud and is extremely awkward to release. Best bet is to use a universal hub puller (

p/n P/N

040211902), will do the trick.

BUT make sure you have backed the shoes off, as you will damage the innernal mechanism if they are still in contact with the drum .

Chris

Reply to
Chris